Featured Data - 1961 Proof Doubled Die Rev Half Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collect89, Sep 28, 2009.

1. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I agree!
    :eek:dd:that date is one to watch out 4 sure

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

4. Great thread. Any chance that these may still be cherry-picked from the proof sets? TC

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Very small, but there is always a chance.

I would be very interested in knowing if anyone has found one in a proof set in recent years. I look at every 1961 proof set presented to me but have never found one.

6. Night Hawk

Night Hawk Junior Member

As someone who's just getting started on the Franklin set I'd like to say thank you for posting these pictures.

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

this not and advertisement!fir R&I
    ck out R&I coins have some great starter sets for Franklin s
    at all price ranges,that just my opinion

http://www.ricoins.com/

8. tcarey

tcarey Junior Member

What do you think about this 1961 Franklin? Do you think it is worth taking out of the proof package for a better picture. I realize it is not as extreme as the one in the first picture, but just curious if it counts as a doubled die. Let me know what you think. Sorry for the bad picture.

Attached Files:

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

cool coin.

Hello tcarry,

If you can, then take a photo with higher magnification & good lighting. Are there any other areas that might exhibit doubling? It would be nice to see the whole coin.

Here is the link to CONECA's listings:
    http://www.conecaonline.org/content/franklindoubleddies19571963.html

I would NOT remove it from the mint plastic holder. While it is in the plastic, it is obviously a genuine mint product. If you ever want it to be slabbed, then you can discuss it with the slabing company & submit it as-is.

Very best regards,
    collect89

10. tcarey

tcarey Junior Member

Thanks for the response

I will see what I can do and take better pictures. It might take me a couple of days before I have the chance to snap them, but as soon as I do, I will put picture of the whole coin and any other areas I might see doubling. Also, I just purchased 3 sealed 1961 sets, so I am hoping to get a good one. Will definitely let you know.

11. 2CentRick

2CentRick Senior Moment

I was channel hopping on the tube last night and lo and behold there was Jimmy Gerstil - The Treasure Hunter - auctioning one in PCGS64. It went for $4,200.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Shoot, Ive got to go check my '61. Nice write up Collect89.....:thumb: Sorry I'm late to the dance......

13. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I'm off to look too :D

14. PFCBEGA

PFCBEGA Staff Numismatist HA.com

wow, great write up. i'm definatley gonna keep an eye out for it at my local shows

15. tcarey

tcarey Junior Member

Okay, so here are a few more pictures of the coin that show doubling and an overall picture of the obverse. I am having trouble identifying the type of doubling, but will continue to try and figure out they type from Coneca's information. Let me know if I should upload a picture of any other specific area. I tried to show all the main areas that I saw doubling. Looking forward to comments. Thanks...

Attached Files:

• 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      222.4 KB
      Views:
    • 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      225.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      230.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      234 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      241 KB
      Views:
  16. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I also have one that looks like that I posted a while back but have not sent it in to be graded yet. as my set of proof Franklin already has a 1961 PR-67Cameo in it.and are working on get the last 4 54-50 and there not cheap by no means.but once that is done I will work on the die varieties

17. tcarey

tcarey Junior Member

Worth Grading?

Do you think that my Franklin is worth getting graded? Do you think it would grade a DDR? I actually just purchased it off ebay last week in a group of sets that ranged from 1960-1964 for $70+. Let's just say I would be pretty excited if it would grade a Proof DDR. If I should get it graded, who is recommended for Franklins, PCGS or NGC? I don't need the whole Ford vs. Chevy breakdown, just an opinion on which one will provide more success with the DDR grading. Thanks.

18. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

My 2 cents

All Franklin Cameo Proof in my mind unless there just are all scratched up or cleaned are worth grading.but all date known to have a variety, I would have the details ck it only $10.00-20.00 more.who know you may have A DDO:kewl:

19. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello tcarey,
    I have posted your photos on the error coin CT forum asking for their help identifying your coin in this thread.
    Very best regards,
    collect89

20. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

I bought my first Roosevelt double die and have been hooked every since.
    I am always looking through the proofs to find the errors.
    [​IMG]

21. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

For a normal cameo (meaning ones not DD or any other type of error/variety) do they come with a hefty premium or are they reasonably priced? From looking on http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/prices/rsvdimpr/pricesgd.shtml they seem reasonable.. is this accurate?

-Shrek

Draft saved Draft deleted