crooked coin show

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rwb5704, Mar 13, 2008.

1. dauubc

dauubc New Member

Don't watch coin shows in the middle of the night

I found this site while looking for Jimmy Gerstel's store (not the TV show). I understand he actually has a store, but I have not been able to locate it. Anyway, I saw the comments about the show not accepting returns. I have bought a few things from his show and have had no problems. The one thing that I did return was promptly replaced. Anyway, I usually only watch Jimmy for the history lessons. I would like to offer a caveat to future purchasers of "24-karat gold plated" coins. I purchased a set of these state quarters via autoship from another shopping show and when I took them to my local coin dealer, he said they were only worth a quarter each. Just goes to show how gullible we are when we can't sleep in the middle of the night. P.T. Barnum was right.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Thats why we always say DON'T buy from those shows.

4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

You mean the same Jimmy Gerstel who was selling an emergency silver kit consisting of a box of junk, circulated silver at the rate of 25.00 an ounce while spot sat at 10.50? Advertising it as a 2 pound box but not clarifying it as 2 "troy" pounds which is less than 2 normal pounds?

You should have checked here first. The guy's a scam artist. They do their best to deceive and promote stuff way over the top.

No offense but I believe the show preys mostly on the uneducated. I've watched it many times for amusement.

5. covert coins

covert coins Coin Hoarder

Welcome to CT .. A lesson learned.. We all have been "taken" at least once..and the trusting more then that.. stick around.. CT is a learning experience

6. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I don't know who "Jimmy Gerstel" is but if he's the same guy I saw advertising gold then there definitely was some misrepresentation going on.

It was some time ago but in the ad I saw the salesman was standing in front of an open bank vault with a couple of armed guards and with a table full of large sized gold coins, plainly Double Eagle sized, which he picked up and clanged together hand to hand, while promoting $5 gold coins which were then shown in close up but with no comparative objects nearby to gauge true size.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

And, as Peter said: bug the charge card company.

8. Dowser01

Dowser01 Junior Member

9. Dollar1948

Dollar1948 New Member

I hope you get your money back. How much were they?
    I won't buy anything from TV, I don't care if it's a revolutionary 'Sham-Wow', or 'Oxy-Clean'' anything that Billie Mays plugs.
    My position is, if they need to plug it by buying expensive air time on TV, then obviously the buyers at the retail level don't want it.

How about poor Montel Williams pushing coins with stickers of Barrack Obama on them...or Mr. T's endorsement of some healthy cooking item that, from what I remember, looks like a George Foreman grill.
    Good god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

10. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

I think they offered these on new years.

11. dauubc

dauubc New Member

12. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

How does this thread keep coming to the top? It's a year old.

13. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

Peter is right. By not accepting your return (as advertised) they are commiting fraud. The credit card companies don't look kindly on that.

Never pay for anything (online or off the TV at least) with anything other then a credit card. It's like having your own built in team of lawyers if something goes wrong. :)

14. dauubc

dauubc New Member

Sorry.
    I am new and apparently do not know what I am doing.
    Have a nice day.

15. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

I wasn't fussing at you, dauubc. This thread has been revived multiple times over the past year.

16. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Every time someone (you, now me) posts, it goes to the top.

17. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Couldn't have said it better. Keep away from TV coin shows.

18. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

Good stuff Mark. I have read numerous posts of yours on the NGC boards and I think you sense of accuracy to details and common sense are well above the average individuals (no criticism to Hobo). I agree with your point. My first main purchase into coins was a AGE about $300 over retail prices. I returned and got my money back, but it was a headache and nerveraking. I agree he should most definitely get his money back, and we don't know the "back story" here really.

19. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

LOL, this thread should get the 'CPR' award for 'back from the dead.'

20. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I think is's great to see these old threads come back. Many newbys are not aware of the worst places to buy coins. Better to learn from someone else's bad experiences!

21. msticks

msticks Junior Member

I watch Jimmy all the time. I find his banter amusing. But I have never, nor never will, buy anything from him. I like to play a little game (drives my wife nuts). Usually I figure on a fair price for an item, or know what it sells for in CoinWorld ads, and then double it. I'm usually pretty close on what Jimmy will sell it for on his program.
    My advice to anyone is to watch all tjose shows for their entertainment value only.

Draft saved Draft deleted