Cool Morgan Ring

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Amanda Varner, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Amanda Varner

Amanda Varner Well-Known Member

silentnviolent and Eng like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Whoa if I had known about this I would had this made for my wedding band.

Amanda Varner likes this.
  4. Amanda Varner

I've seen some similar things in the past, but they were very crude and poorly done by comparison. That guy's an artist!

5. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Cool to look at or collect but I'd never wear that thing

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The folks that make those rings just fascinate me. It's just amazing how they produce them. There are videos available on da youtube that show these folks at work.

7. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I agree...it's cool but not something I'd wear.

8. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I make these in my spare time, i've made cent through dollar.
    Start with a hole..
    DSC04877_opt.jpg
    Then you dap them..
    DSC04878_opt.jpg
    Beat them round..
    DSC04879_opt.jpg
    Then you polish them up..
    DSC04884_opt.jpg

9. Amanda Varner

How long does the whole process really take, Eng?

10. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I have made 20 in a day, that was to much, 5 to 10 a day is no problem..

11. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I had one made when my mom passed a few years back. A 1945 Walking Lib was the host coin, the year of her birth. I wore it every day but saw that it was wearing down so I put it up, but look at it often. Thanks for the link Amanda, those Morgans look really nice.

Amanda Varner and Eng like this.
  12. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

For those who wouldn't wear one the silver is smooth, i made a few and my kids, then there friends wanted one, then my wife put on facebook, i've been making one for all her friends and family.
    Silver State quarters are a great size, i can make it about 6.5 to about 10.5 ring size.

13. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Great article, thanks for posting.

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I had one made with my birth year on the coin about 5 (?) years ago. It was a Walker also. If you wear it too much, you will see the details ware away just like circulation does to a coin. Your ring size will determine what coin will be needed to keep the details intact and in exact proportion. Small rings use quarters, large rings use silver dollars. You can buy the coin from the silver smith that makes the ring, or furnish it to him yourself. The latter can give it an unique appearance compared to buying one from stock. Use something like a commemorative or even silver bullion. I wear mine when I go to national coin conventions/shows/fairs.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Very cool!! I don't wear jewelry as I destroy it (my hands take a wicked pounding) but I think these are very neat !

16. bigbruiser94

bigbruiser94 Active Member

I'm a steel worker my job would destroy that but would be neat to own

17. Evom777

Evom777 Make mine .999

That guy is no joke. I have never seen quality like those before.....I`d easily rock one of those Morgan rings.

18. Slider

Slider Member

Part of me gets a little sick inside every time I see another vintage coin destroyed in this way. The other part of me gets a little giddy knowing that they're driving up the values of my own coins, slowly but surely, as scarcity continues to grow.

Another reason why I've never been quick to dismiss "junk" coinage. Every time a bag of junk goes to the refiner, and every time a circulation coin gets hammered into jewelry, the coins that remain (in any condition) become a little more valuable. Sure, it's incremental, but the passage of time makes everything a rarity.

19. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Agreed. From the rolls and bags of junk silver I've bought and gone through, I keep anything numismatic, and now have a sizeable box of "too good for bullion," including $70+ face in Barbers, although most are only fair to good. I buy most of my silver from a pawn shop.

The owner doesn't have time for lunch, much less squinting at junk silver. BLS says 37% of households now live paycheck to paycheck, with savings under $500. Judging from the level of activity at the pawn shop, you'd think it was 97%.

20. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I agree, but you can't live your life worrying about such things. Nor will this make a influential impact on your own personal life. It's more the natural by-product of time. Jewelry doesn't destroy the coin completely like refining does. There are many collectors who will still save holed coins and those mounted in pendants. I personally don't have a problem with it.

21. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

"Honey, you bought me a 1921 wedding band? (you're so cheap). You know I always wanted a 1889-CC one"

Draft saved Draft deleted