CoinBlazers Top 5 Ancient Coins of 2019!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by CoinBlazer, Dec 2, 2019.

1. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Well, I can officially make one of these considering that I own at least 5. I own 25 ancient coins! I'm shocked that it is that many. I received my first ancient coin in the Spring of 2019 so technically, all of my ancients qualify for this list. I will show the coin, attribution, and why it is in my top 5 list. But first I want to thank the many many many generous donors who have donated coins to my novice collection
    @lordmarcovan
    @Ryro
    @tenbobbit
    @Sallent
    @John Anthony

Lets get this party going!
    Probus AE Antoninianus. Antioch mint. IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / CLEMENTIA TEMP, emperor standing right with sceptre, receiving Victory from Jupiter standing left with sceptre, H in lower centre with dot. XXI.

Probus.jpg

This coin, "donated" to me (I did @lordmarcovan a favor...) is one of my favorites due to its immaculate quality comparative to my other coins, strong strike and no major dings or dents.

Paphos Mint, Cyprus
    Head of Bearded Hercules right/Eagle standing left, on thunderbolt
    BA850070-FD9C-4F18-A2BE-F96B299AB2B8.png

This coin, given away by @Ryro is special because I always had a sweet spot for ancient Egypt and to have a coin recognizes an Egyptian ruler is an amazing coin to have for me!

HADRIAN
    117-138 AD. AR Denarius (17mm, 2.89gm). Struck 134-138 AD. Head right / Egypt reclining against basket left, holding sistrum, ibis at feet. RIC II 297; RSC 99.
    Ex-Savoca

20191121_153532-1.jpg 20191121_153544-1.jpg

This coin is special due to Hadrian being such a popular ancient figure in Roman history and its a coin that has a large historical basis. Thanks again @Ryro

M. Aurelius Scarus 118 BC AR Denarius
    3.95g 19mm Narbo Mint
    M AVRELI ROMA XVI monogram behind helmeted head of Roma right
    Gallic warrior driving biga right, SCAVRI below/ L LIC CN DOM

APC_0199.jpg APC_0200.jpg

This coin is special because it was my first non- Roman Empire coin, and it developed my interest into the pre-imperial age.

Before we get to #1, we need an honorable mention

15 ancient coins from @tenbobbit
    IMG-8124.JPG

and #1...my first ancient coin!
    Valens, AE3 of Aquileia.

DN VALEN-S PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right.
    SECVRITAS-REIPVBLICAE, Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm.
    Left field: B.
    Mintmark SMAQP.

RIC IX Aquileia 9b, type ii(a)

5363416E-71CB-4088-BB40-4B7AAFF0255F.jpeg FF8CA042-73BF-4646-9A1F-32E9CA105B11.jpeg
    So why is this coin special? I don't think an explanation is required, its my first ancient coin. :)

To all the donators, educators and anyone who replied, liked and contributed to my ancients collection, here's to another hundred years of ancient coins!

-Michael

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Some very generous folks helping to augment your collection. Nice stuff, and capital people.......

panzerman and ominus1 like this.
  4. CoinBlazer

Couldn't agree more!

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Hey @CoinBlazer , that is a cool assortment of ancient coins! Looks like you had a great first year...the serrate denarius is killer.

jamesicus and CoinBlazer like this.
  6. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great first year! That RR denarius is a beauty.

Severus Alexander and CoinBlazer like this.
  7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

With a collection like that in such a short time I would say you are off to a great start, they are all nice but my favorite is your first coin Valens because you remind me of myself when I first started collecting ancients guess what my first was.......... Gratian.jpg
    Gratian. AD 367-383. Æ (2,01g). Rome mint. Struck AD 375-378. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm branch. R.QUARTA. RIC IX 24c.

Theodosius, ominus1, Bing and 3 others like this.
  8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Fantastic first year... your #2 is spectacular, congrats!!

9. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

@CoinBlazer That Scarus denarius is beautiful. Although I've been collecting for years, I also got a serrate denarius for the first time this year.

88394q00.jpg

I love the ragged edges. Can't wait to get a few more Roman serrate beauties.

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wonderful start to your collection! May 2020 be good to you!

11. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That is a solid start.
    my favorite is #2. I have been looking for a good one of those for awhile now and haven't been able to find one in my price range. Beautiful coin. Thanks for sharing!

12. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Micheal, Continue to enjoy the fruits of ancient coin collecting ;). The serrated denarius is my favorite :D.

13. CoinBlazer

Michael* :D:D:D

14. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

confused emoji.jpg
    My spell-check let me down.

15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

What a start !
    Congrats

Q

16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

A great start to your collection. My favorites are your #2 and #3.

17. Dafydd

Dafydd Well-Known Member

What a great start, no 2 and no 5 are the ones I like. What excellent people on this site, it's the best!

18. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..great coins ...you have a few that i've been wanting for a while now..keep on keepin' on my fellow Moman..:)

19. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Your off to a great start, Michael! You have made 2019 a smash hit. I am can hardly wait to see your 2020 wins.
    John

20. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Very nice Michael. Some great coins there. Excellent start to your collection...
    -Michael

21. CoinBlazer

Oh yes, can't wait to see my 2020 coins also, I don't think I have a specific focus yet so it'll probably be all over the board just like this year.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted