Cherry Picking an unknown double die reverse...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Carterofmars, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

Hello all-

I've recently been looking through my small coin collection, and spotted what looks like a double die on a Liberty Head Nickel 1883. I checked the Cherry Pickers Guide 5th. ed., and see an 1883 variety, but it's not mine.

Question: What does a person typically do if they've discovered, what might possibly be, unknown variety?

Mine has the doubling on the reverse in the word 'United'.

Thanks for any opinions in advance; greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I would just let you know that the CPG is not a comprehensive listing of all known varieties. Head on over to the CONECA Master Listings page at Variety Vista for a complete list.

4. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

Thanks heading over now....

5. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

6. stldanceartist

7. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

No dice. All for 1883 are RPD (repunched dates). Nothing for a Double Die on reverse motto.

Stldanceartist- thanks for your recommendations thus far. I've posted this inquiry on three other forums, but here I'm getting solid recommendations.

If this ends up being an undiscovered variety, how should I proceed?

8. stldanceartist

Your best bet would be to first see if you can get some good photos of the doubling you see on your coin. Make sure they are in focus and show what you're seeing. This sounds much, much easier than it will be in reality.

Once you get some good photos, I'd repost them here and in the other forums. There are quite a few experienced variety collectors who will counsel you on whether it is worth proceeding further (i.e., sending the coin for attribution to Brian Ribar, who is responsible for nickel attribution. Normally it's James Wiles.)

Hope that helps!

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

To be honest, I don't see anything that would be considered a Doubled Die. Your close-up is a bit blurry, but even with that, nothing stands out.

Chris

non_cents likes this.
  10. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

Stldanceartist- Thanks. I'll concentrate on getting the photos at this point. I used to have macro filters for an older film Nikon I used to own, and that worked great, but those are gone.

Stay tuned as I'll post those photos here. Thanks again for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Chris- the images I'm posting aren't good. Stldanceartist is right; I have to get good images to get opinions.

The lines are there on the tops of the letters, I just can't get a good pic.

But, I've achieved one of my goals. I wanted to see if anyone could tell if this was a known variety. No one has been able to yet though. What I've researched thus far is telling me it might be unknown. I hope it is. Not just for the dollar value, but I'd be totally jazzed to be responsible for recording an new varity for a coin. That is very cool.

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I agree with Chris. Better photo ( sharpness), would confirm one way or other, but I think no at this point.

12. stldanceartist

Just like to point out that it's not that no one can figure out if it's a known variety - it's that we can't see the coin clearly enough to offer an educated opinion. I'm on your side - I'm rooting for you to find a new variety. I had my very first "First Reported" variety find last year, and I am still excited every time I look at it!

So, let's see some good photos and get the discussion started! :)

13. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

Absolutely- I'll get crisp images. I'll likely spend a good part of tomorrow getting those.

This is cool.

Dancer- So you found a new variety. That is outstanding! Mind if I ask what that was? Curious if it was a modern or older coin.

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

1) It is a doubleD die
    2) I see nothing

15. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

I've made better images of what I think is doubling...

Attached Files:

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Not a doubled die in my opinion.

17. Carterofmars

Carterofmars Member

I guess no dice then. :(

18. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Sorry, doubling looks flattened to me...

19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Not a doubled die, looks like die deterioration.

Draft saved Draft deleted