Chances of going from AU58 to MS63/4?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BigTee44, Sep 3, 2013.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

I have a 1917 ty1 graded au58 fh by anacs

I've tried to find the rub spot but see nothing. What are the chances of an upgrade to a Ms coin? i know just because I can't see it doesn't mean it's not there but I've also heard that anacs is grading tougher to try to win back the reputation of ngc or PCGS. Most of my coins are ngc and I'd like to get this my 1891 ms(anacs) quarter and my 1856-o seated quarter in one shot

I plan on sending it to ngc so what would be my best options? I read in another thread that you can submit your coin in the original holder and if you don't get the grade you want they will just return it but would them seeing an au58 make them to likely to get the same grade?

image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

The image is actually fairly tough to work with, but there appears to be high point rub going down Ms. Liberty's right leg (viewer's left). This would be AU58. At least at PCGS you can submit a coin in holder for crossover and specify that it receive the current grade for cross, but you cannot specify a higher grade. Regardless, just because one writes that they want a certain grade is no guarantee that it will be received.

The quip about ANACS grading made me laugh; that ship has sailed many years ago and no line about grading will regain market share in a tainted product.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would agree, though such a difference is very hard, (for me at least), without the coin in hand. Still, a beautiful coin, and probably my favorite grade/pricepoint.

5. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

It's "possible" but would require a great deal of rebranding. They'd need to change the labels to something that has NEVER been used by the company before, and maybe change the holders. In addition to this, they'd have to disavow any previously graded coins, which would essentially kill their brand.

6. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

I see some bag marks? Here's a few more of the legs.

So if I send it in for cross they wouldn't even grade it just make it an ngc coin?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

7. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

From those pictures, not an MS coin. AU 58 is accurate, as there is a tiny big of rub on the leg, and it isn't just bag marks. I wouldn't waste a submission, as that rim nick could even drop it to AU 55.

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That coin is uncirculated. Crack it out and resubmit it to NGC. It happens.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

9. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

The OP coin is in an ANACS holder, right? Could you show the ANACS holder, please? I want to see if they've changed the holders.

Also, I agree on AU58 being a fair grade. There's definitely "rub" on the knee, and it's not a strike weakness issue, either. I mean Liberty's right thigh.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd have to say they had it right the first time.

11. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I agree with respect to the NGC coin likely being an AU58 the first time instead of an MS62 the second time. Perhaps it was the very clean fields that led to the MS designation the first time around.

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Morgandude11 likes this.
  13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

In my view, just poster children for the fallacy of saying wear is more critical "damage" to a coin than anything else. Both are beautiful coins, much more beautiful than some of the dreck I see labeled 61 or 62.

I wish they would just drop the facade and grade a coin holisticly, treating wear as simply A type of damage, not a horribly more important type of damage like they do now. :(

Very nice eye both BigTee and Paul. I would be proud to own either coin.

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Draft saved Draft deleted