Challenge Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jwt708, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

So I know - these aren't numismatic or currency and are really like tokens but I'm totally geeking out here on coins and I realized that I need to add my military challenge coins to my collection. If you don't know what these are...well just have a look! This is what I've accumulated so far in 9 years. Each has a history or story behind it and they're just kinda cool. If you have any, please share!

Challenge Coins Obv.jpg Challenge Coins Rev.jpg

Alegandron and Circus like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I have one. Is "Special" to me.
    DSCo.jpg DSCR.jpg

Circus likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Wish I had some. They're Way cool........:)

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thank you for going there mrweaseluv!Green18 - I'm sure we can work something out.

6. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Awesome Ripley...now tell me that B-52 is made out of gold.

8. coervi

coervi Lincoln Collector

Here is my very small collection i have so far.

[​IMG]

GSDykes, Circus and Jwt708 like this.
  9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very cool coervi! I like the invitation, never seen one like that before.

10. Siggi Palma

Siggi Palma Well-Known Member

I do not collect these but the history of challenge coins are very interesting.

The US army when based in Iceland used to make alot these and they are around here in Iceland and easy to pick up.

Siggi

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I wish there was still a base in Iceland - I was fortunate enough to spend a day in Reykjavik even though I didn't get to see much.

Technically my first coin collection circulating krona - something I'll have to complete one day.

12. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

love it too!

13. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

No brass, my spouse and I carry these old SAC coins in our wallets to make decisions. :p

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Still cool!

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

So I was hoping to find one for my base before it went through the recent realignment, but alas one wasn't to be found. I did pick this one up.
    For any purists out there - I agree, they don't count if you buy them, but hey its something colorful among my silver.
    JBLM Base Obv.jpg JBLM Base Rev.jpg

Circus likes this.
  16. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I consider it fair game especialy if from a base you served at. I'm still hoping to get my hands on a USS Pensacola L.S.D. 38 "silver bullet". It was a silver (possibly 90%) coin the size of a half dollar with the ship on one side and a 3" shell on the other. The COs (i served under 3 during my time aboard) used to hand em out for "exceptional" duty/proformance reasons. You could turn them in at quarters for a day off (even a duty day if you didn't mind upsetting your OOD). I got 3 in 3 years and used em all in 1 shot for a 3 day pass to go to Monty Carlo where I lost my shirt (and shoes literaly) but it was worth it :D

Circus likes this.
  17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Was gonna say, "was it worth it"? :devil:

18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Cool story mrweaseluv. Maybe one will turn up on eBay? I was going through the small pile I had sorta accumulated over the years and they brought back some memories.

19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

So going through my collection I realized there are a few coins missing. I was hoping to find one from when my last base fighters, one from the fighter unit I was in, and one from a squadron I was in when I was last deployed. I actually found each of these on eBay and here they are:

27 FW Obv.jpg 27 FW Rev.jpg 27 CMS Obv.jpg 27 CMS Rev.jpg

Attached Files:

sgt23 and Circus like this.
  20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Here's the reverse of the last one:
    379 EMXS Rev.jpg

Maybe someone has some to add? If you do, post 'em up!!:D

Actually, I need one more that will be really hard to get...it would be the unit I "deployed" with to Guam. That would complete my collection.

Circus likes this.
  21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ok, so I've turned into a sucker for these...here's a "new" POW MIA remembrance coin.
    POW MIA Rev.jpg POW MIA Obv.jpg

Circus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted