Carlos&Johanna 1 real bought in 2x2 flip

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by suninjune, Apr 24, 2014.

1. suninjune

suninjune Member

The dealer I buy from keeps most of his coins in 2x2 plastic flips. Is this normal? Should I dip the coin and store it in a airtight capsule?

Thank you for your help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

post a pic of it here first. I would take it out of the plastic flip and put it in a 2X2 cardboard mylar holder. how much did you spend on this coin ? what grade is it ?

4. suninjune

suninjune Member

I do not know how to post pictures yet. I will soon.

The coin is a Mexico Carlos&Johanna (1542-1555) 1 real L/m choice. Paid $125.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

do NOT dip. it will kill the value.

6. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Some 2x2 flips are archival and completely safe for long term storage, but a lot are not. It's your call, if you see some residue forming around the edges I think a quick dip in acetone would be recommended to keep it from progressing.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If the flip is very soft and pliable then yes you should take the coin out of it and put in another kind of holder. If the flip still flexes but feels a bit stiff, like a slightly harder or thicker plastic would, then it is OK. The soft ones - you can bend one of the pockets in half and pinch it tight between your fingers. The stiff ones, you can't or it will crack.

That said, most dealers do use the soft and pliable PVC flips. There are several reasons they do this, but they also know that most collectors know to remove the coin from their (the dealer's) flips and use a different holder.

8. suninjune

suninjune Member

The flip is soft. It just seems strange that the coin could have been in the flip for years.

I will search older posts for storage options. I have a small bag of coins that should be moved to something better.

Thank you all for the good information.

Draft saved Draft deleted