Buy Ancients in Plastic Holders

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Apr 21, 2014.

1. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I understand your position Doug. Just as an aside, many of my buyers are dealers.....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I'm laying off the cider, through my beer goggles I somehow turned a clear SAECVLI FELICITAS into a Milan mint Equitas reverse....:banghead:

4. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

What would you assume this coin Athenian tetradrachm to cost?

Attached Files:

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Perhaps $8-900

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Looking at the examples being offered right now, I would think my initial estimate to be low. Maybe $12-1400.

7. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

We'll I just purchased this coin from a dealer on vcoins for 600....I am very pleased

8. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

I will make sure to post my own pics of this fine tetradrachm once I receive it by mail in about a week

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

$600 is reasonable and allows for the wear and countermarks which generally do not increase such a coin's price. To get one cheaper, you would probably be getting a test cut. I hope the two of you will be happy together.

nathanj485 likes this.
  10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

$695 to be exact. ;) Or did you manage to talk him down?

A very nice choice. I've had numerous transactions with that dealer and they've all been quite satisfactory.

11. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

Yea I did negotiate Paul down to 600. Very good deal IMO and I'm quite satisfied with the quality. I've seen many others with nasty test cuts sell for more so I'm happy with just 2 bankers marks.

12. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

Don't know if you live in the US or not but if you do...do packages take a bit longer than usual domestic deliveries being that the coin comes from canada?

13. John Anthony

My deliveries from that particular dealer take about a week and a half, although occasionally they've arrived in a week. On the pricier coins that I've bought, he's used insured mail.

14. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice coin. I am on a buying rampage at present for Greek silver fractional units. I have 2 more Chersonesos hemidrachm arriving soon, ones the lizard reverse I've been eyeing for a while. I have been sent Helveticas reverse list for these and will be adding to my collection when I can....
    btw. which Vcoins dealer did the Athens coin come from?

John Anthony likes this.
  15. John Anthony

16. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

cheers JA

John Anthony likes this.
  17. John Anthony

I'm always glad to recommend a trusted dealer, and he's one of my top ten.

18. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

My favourite is David Connors.......he charges sensible money for his coins and has some lovely little LRB gems.

19. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

I like zach beasley from Beast coins...excellent selection and friendly customer service. I purchased my lizard cherronesos and gorgon kamarina tetras from him for a nice discount.

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Do also note that Beast has a lot of excellent information presented freely on his web pages. He is truly a gentleman and a scholar in addition to being a trustworthy dealer.

21. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Chersonesos is the way I spell this region/city, but I have seen many variations, even on vcoins, where dealers seem to contradict one another. Just type in different spellings in the search bar and see the hemidrachms pop up.....Is this a language variant, or are some of us getting this wrong (probably me!). I know the word/name seems to have a more general meaning for 'headland'.

Draft saved Draft deleted