Brown Box Eisenhower

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bwhiteside59, Jan 17, 2012.

1. bwhiteside59

bwhiteside59 Member

It is my understanding that Safflips are the best for long term archival storage because of the "plastic" contents. Any information/experience about this?
    Thanks, Ben Tampa FL

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bwhiteside59

bwhiteside59 Member

With all due respect to all: A question; If Ikes are left in the holders how about toning? I know some are into collecting toned Franklins. Years ago I met a guy who told me something about "attic" or "outside shed" Ikes. Left to the trows of the Florida heat and humidity and therefore the "toning" and the milky appearance would result.
    I appreciate all input, experience and opinions.
    Thanks, Ben Tampa FL

4. bwhiteside59

bwhiteside59 Member

Another question: I see and have the Ikes with the milky tone ring. I ask opinion/experience: would it be better to break out and store safely like Saflip in proper storage? Or leave them and see how the tone goes across the entire coin. As always all responses are appreciated.
    Thanks, Ben Tampa FL

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I do not recommend SAF FLIPS for Eisenhower Proof coin storage. The saf flips have a tendency of bursting their seams allowing toe coin to move about and drop out.

What I do recommend is simply leaving them in the original packaging unless they are for a DANSCO Type album or TPG certification. Cardboard holders are not really a good idea either since they open up opportunities for the coins to get scratched.

Remember, what you are looking at today is, at the minimum, 38 years worth of storage. Some tone, some do not. Some haze up in blue, some do not. Some haze up in Green, some do not. Typicaly, the 1974-S's develop Target Toning. Typically the 1971-S, 1972-S and 1973-S, haze up in Blue. 1972-S can haze up in Green.

Some, stay exactly the way they were when the were originally packaged.

Coming up with a storage alternative that one feels comfortable with for a readily available coin could be a waste of money when leaving them as is, brown box and all, has worked quite well for the past 38 - 42 years.

6. HonestScript

HonestScript Active Member

i recently bought one for my father for christmas. how do i know if some one hasnt previously opened the original plastic container?

Draft saved Draft deleted