Braided Hair Half Cent Questions

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by John Anthony, Apr 9, 2014.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

What do you learned scholars of US coins think about this half cent? It's ANACS AU58 Details, Rim Damage. I see some depressions in the rim at 2 and 9 on the obverse and 9 on the reverse.

Do you agree with AU58 otherwise? And what would you offer for the coin?

Much obliged.

halfcent1.JPG halfcent2.JPG

Eng likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Since when are you interested in anything not at least 500 years old?

;-)

4. John Anthony

Make it 1500 and I'm in! :)

I put together a US type set many years ago, and I'm toying with the idea of doing it again, this time with better knowledge and a little more scratch. Being a collector of ancients, I'm not the least bit bothered by "details" grades - heck, every coin in my gallery gets a details grade - as long as the coins have decent eye-appeal and I'm not paying a premium for an overgraded piece.

5. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

It's tough to separate out high AU from MS without having the coin in hand to look for luster breaks. If there are significant luster breaks than AU seems appropriate.

Either way, low MS would net to high AU with those rim dings in my mind. To the extent that I collect late date half cents I look for MS examples, they never really circulated so there are plenty of very nice examples out there. I just would not buy with a problem coin from this date range.

6. John Anthony

Thanks beef. I did a little more hunting after I read your post, and I see that you are correct. There seem to be plenty of problem-free coins in this series, in the AU range, and not terribly more expensive than the coin I posted.

7. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

John A, are you going to build this set with graded coins or put them in a album like Dansco..

8. John Anthony

Intercept Shield album, which is why I'm not looking for the highest-grade coins in top-tier TPG slabs. I want attractive raw coins, or coins that aren't going to be hugely devalued by cracking them out.

9. John Anthony

Also, is there any substantial risk of encountering counterfeits in this series - specifically the Braided Hair Half Cents?

10. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Not that I'm aware of, at least not for the business strike common stuff. The proof coins may have some fakes as well as the earlier half cent, i.e. 1796. I think you will generally be safe looking for AU raw coins, just be careful with the color/surface condition.

It's an aside, but I just picked up the Frankenfield auction catalog of early copper sold in 2001, he bought two 1796's from the Cohen sale, the same Cohen who wrote the book on the series, and both turned out after the sale to be counterfeit elctrotypes.

11. John Anthony

Ouch. Did the buyer(s) have any recourse with Superior Galleries, or were they stuck with the coins?

12. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

JR bought the coins for real 1796 prices and sold them with his collection as electrotypes, so no he did not have any recourse that I am aware off. They were such good fakes they fooled Cohen, the cataloger, and other experts in the half cent community.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Substantial I don't know, but all of the half cents are available as chinese counterfeits.

14. John Anthony

I thought as much. What isn't available as a Chinese counterfeit?

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Haven't seen to many clad quarters. :D

John Anthony likes this.
  16. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I haven't seen too many good Chinese counterfeits from the late style half or large cents. And honestly, I have not seen many of them. They are out there, but I think they are pretty crude and pretty infrequently offered on ebay, but ymmv

Draft saved Draft deleted