BEAUTIFUL Tetradrachm of Emperor Caracalla - Post your Caracalla Tets etc!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rexesq, Aug 16, 2012.

1. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

I recently bought this Caracalla tet I had been watching for a while, it was on sale and the seller accepted a fairly low offer, so I am quite happy! I believe the reverse design between the legs of the Eagle is the prow of a ship, anyone know what this signifies, if anything? It is my only one with that style reverse, although I have quite a few with various reverses, most with the eagle standing on the leg of a dead animal.... and the one fron Tyre (with a Murex shell and the Eagle standing on a club) which I just love. This one is close to my favorites though, I really like it, and just felt like sharing it with all the others who are interested in such coins here, speaking of that, everyone who can, post your favorite Coin of Caracalla, Tetradrachmai preferably, but an Antoninianii or Denarii or any bronzes will be appreciated!

*The single pics of the obv and rev by itself are twice the size of the photos where they are together, I had to shrink them to attach obv and rev in one pic to make it fit, but for better detail click on the ones that just show either reverse or obverse by itself.*

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Nice Greek/Roman Rex. Love the Eagle:smile
    I guess you know David Sear made an extensive catalouge book of Greek Roman coinage.
    Young Carcalla / Felictas[​IMG][​IMG]

4. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

More Coins!

Nice one Ripley That is a style I still do not have, the young bust.... or any with a bare head, cool... Very nice portrait, beautiful in fact, of the young Emperor. I like it alot. I need to start thinking about getting a young bust one of Him.... I only have one Denarius of Caracalla, the 'PROFECTIO AUG' one with the emperor standing with two standards behind him on the reverse, there is another type with the emperor standing, and a standard bearer (a soldier holding the standard) standing behind him holding one of the two standards, that type is fairly rare I believe, but both are popular, and I just love mine, the toning, the portrait.... the price I paid for it many years back heh. I have several of his Antoninianii, which are one of my favorite types to collect (Antoninianii of Caracalla, Macrinus and Elagabalus) The ones struck in that brief period before Severus Alexander became Emperor and did not strike any. I always loved the radiate bust.... like the Statue of Liberty's crown.

Here are some pics of my other favorite Caracalla coins, I thought this thread would get more response with people eager to share their Caracalla coins, since he is such a popular Emperor for collectors, and struck many coins.

The first two are pics of my one and only Caracalla Denarius 'PROFECTIO AUG' reverse. The third is a pic of one of my favorite Caracalla Antoninianii (a BIG, heavy and very well centered one!) with the Denarius next to it to show size. Fourth Photo is the obv and rev of that same Caracalla Antoninianii ' VENUS VICTRIX ' Note how you can even see some of the design on the Sheild on the reverse, a very nice example, and one of the stars of my collection of all Roman Coins. It also has a rarer 'Laureate Bust right, draped and cuirassed, Seen from the front', which is much much less common than the regular(most common) bust types, like in the next Caracalla Ant in the next photo, note the differences. Fifth photo is another Caracalla Antoninianus, with a 'Laureate bust right, draped, seen from behind. This one has Serapis on the reverse and the titles ' PM TR P XVIII COS IIII PP ' denoting the emperor's titles and years as emperor. It shows Serapis holding one hand up, and holding a sceptre in the other.

5. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

-

Also, just to be sure.... my coin in my first post, the Tetradrachm of Caracalla with the Prow of a Galley between the legs of the eagle..... that is from Antioch, Syria, correct? or am I wrong?

-

6. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

This darn computer will not let me edit posts, so I have to make a brand new post to just to add one picture I forgot to add, piece of junk computer!

But really, where is the Caracalla tet in the first post from? Antioch or elsewhere?

I also got this rare bust style Gordian III tet, almost worthy of its own thread, Gordian tets alone are fairly uncommon.... but with a Radiate bust left.... I have only ever seen one other with the same style obv "Radiate bust left, draped and cuirassed. Seen from the front." Also it has the reverse with the Ram leaping left, and a crescent moon above the ram between the legs of the eagle. I had to shrink the photo since it was huge, but click on it and it will still be large enough to see the detail, I had to do the same with the Caracalla Tet in the original post.

So also I added a photo of some of my Caracalla tets around a US quarter, the one at the bottom (6 o'clock) is from Tyre, the rest are from Antioch.... but these are just some of my Caracalla tets, I have several more, and nicer ones. These just made for a nice photo at the time, which is a large photo and should be nice if you enlarge it, like the Gordian Tet.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted