Banks are frustrating! rant about canadian coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gbroke, Jun 10, 2010.

1. panda

panda Junior Member

he might of just been playing around. in high school one of my friends worked at BP, and would card random people that were definitely older then 40. if they put up a fuss or whatever, he would card them every time. one guy in particular used to get so mad, i am surprised he never punched my friend. he was 55 and came in everyday, sometimes twice. he carded him every single time..this was for cigarettes, not alcohol!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

That's great. I take pleasure out of screwing with people, maybe I'm just messed up in the head.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't think your friend was being all that funny! If I had been that customer, I would have done my best to get him fired. Your friend wasn't very smart.

Chris

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I was thinking the same thing. You live in a country where people may be armed! Push the wrong button and......:eek:!

On a talk show (may have been Dr. Phil) a woman was brought on by her husband who was so embarrassed by her ill treatment of restaurant staff. She complained about the service, the food, everything usually completely unwarranted. Dr. Phil's response to her was "You mistreated people that way.... people who prepared your food behind closed doors? I don't even want to try to guess what you may have ingested over the years!"

Revenge.:D

6. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I have heard it said about the snow birds here in Vegas too. But it's harder to feed Canadian coins into the slots since they are currency operated for the most part. And best believe if you walk in with your own change, they are checking you out.

7. zekehooper

zekehooper New Member

It might be funny the first time but after that I would talk to the manager about it. If it didn't change then I would go someplace else. If you are over 21 can't you refuse?

8. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

This is a pretty old thread. But in response to this, I will say that there are stores on nearly every corner here. I just take my business next door when I think someone is messing with me. But as my wife explained, the young man was probably told to card EVERYBODY.....with no exceptions. It didn't mean anything, but I never have been back either. It just happened to be a convenience stop for me at the time.

gary

9. zekehooper

zekehooper New Member

I just joined the group here so any thread is new to me.

10. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

lol. good point.

Why are the rest of you living in the past? :) I am no longer frustrated with banks. Well, at least this month.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Here in Indiana it's the law that you MUST card everyone no matter how old they look.

12. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

I would say the cost of crossing the border would be well worth it compared to the amount you have in change. Even with the exchange from Canadian to U.S., which would be about $209.82, it's still worth it.

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Heh. I got $20+ FV of Canadian in a bag of "foreign coins" that was part of a larger lot I won on eBay. I treated the bag as zero-value when setting my bid, so I figure I'm coming out ahead whatever I do with it. I might be able to spend the quarters, dimes, nickels and cents, but I don't think I'd get very far with the four Toonies...

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Take the Toonies with you to Orlando and spend them with your Disney Dollars. :>)

15. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

This is an old thread... however: I would have crossed the border, but I do not have my passport up to date. Since 9/11, it has gotten a lot tougher to cross. We used to be able to do it very easily. The drinking age was 18 (still is?) in Canada. So obviously, we went a lot.

About the Canadian change: I actually sold it on ebay for a little more than face value.

16. bruce m

bruce m New Member

my mom works at a bank and she said they go by trust that rolls arent filled with canadians/tubes of metal

17. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Actually, you should look into getting the enhanced drivers or non-drivers ID from your DMV. 2 week turn around when you submit the application for it, for much less money than a passport.

18. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Oh yeah, good point. I forgot they even have that.

19. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

tip money ?

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But you still need the passport to get back into the country.

He said he lived close to the border. So it may not be taht difficult to find someone who DOES make trips to Canada. Either sell it to them at a discount or have them take it to Canada and exchange it. Even if all you can get is Canadian paper money, that can usually be exchanged at banks that handle foreign exchange.

21. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

The Michigan Enhanced Drivers License is good for travel through out North America and the Carribean, by private vehicle, or commercial transport. I have one and it works just fine at the Detroit border crossing as well as at domestic airports when traveling by air from Carribean destinations.

Draft saved Draft deleted