Banks are frustrating! rant about canadian coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gbroke, Jun 10, 2010.

1. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

It has and always will be...

Foreign currency has been used here in the U.S. since before we began to mint our own currency and is now being accidentally slipped to us once in a while still. I believe it is a complete waste of time to stress over it and find those that waste their energy stressing on it as really, really, comedic! I was working one day and a young lady came in begging to trade in her $10 Canadian bill for some U.S. currency, she was young and honest and explained she wanted some money that she could use to go have a few drinks and some fun with, Since I do not mind trading in currencies that are foreign but current I bought it off of her for $8, I didn't know the exact trade rate but she was more than happy and I think I made like a $1. Or another good tale, A cashier I work with that like coins also, notices an oddity in his dime tray, a British Six pence from the very early 1800's, it was well worn, but so funny to see it still trekking along in circulation in the place of a dime (of course he traded it out and kept it) :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

That's as funny as the clerk who asked me for ID to get a bottle of wine for my wife. I am 64. LOL

4. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

Carded at 64? I want to drink whatever you're drinking.

5. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I look 64 ! LOL Either the kid was an idiot or his boss told him to card Everybody ? It was funny, really. I even asked him if he was having a problem with his eyesight, like "Are you Blind ?" LOL

6. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

I would never accept canadian currency or any other country for that matter........I was speaking of coins! has anybody ever seen a forgein currency spent in america? I live about two hours from the border too

7. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I'm not sure what you mean by this. First of all I paid for this canadian money with american money (buying rolls). Secondly, my complaint has nothing to do with the fact thats its Canadian. It's the fact that the banks won't take it back even though they gave it to me. So now I'm stuck with a lot of it. To me, a couple hundred is a lot.

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Well have found US cents and dimes in my change over here in the UK so it looks like it goes on all over LOL also found Euro cents :smile

9. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

I've never been close to Canada. Don't they have currency exchanges on both sides of the border that are there just for that reason?

Ten minutes from the border? You're the first in line when Canada decides to invade us:bigeyes:

10. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Yes they do have currency exchange at the borders, in the duty free stores. However, you are not allowed to even step foot in them unless you are crossing the border. I tried walking up to one, and got harrased from Homeland Security.

As far as an invasion, they would have to make it through the ghettos of detroit to get to me. I'm pretty sure the Canadians will be outgunned.

11. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

There's gotta be a way. You can't be the only one so close to the border that has this problem. Grocery stores getting rolls of change up there must get a bunch of Canadian stuff. Ask the manager at your grocery store and see what he does.

You being in a suburb of Detroit, you should have no problem.

12. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I just went through a roll of Quarters and there was a Panamian whatever it is in there. LOL Panama ? Why Panama ?

13. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

Send it to the Noriega defense fund.

14. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

<snicker>
    With the way things are going lately, it's more like he's the first in line to get the heck outta here!

---
    All of the airports in NY and DC have currency exchanges. They don't have them there as well?

15. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

Need we really continue?

1) You didn't buy anything from the bank, you made an exchange.
    2) The amount of Canadian currency in our circulation that if you were making standard transactions with the bank like it is designed for is so minute that it wouldn't matter.
    3) The bank doesn't care about the issues that are a result of Numismatists utilizing their system for personal gain / entertainment... I.E. ending up with a lot of Canadian coins :)
    4) Why stress, who cares?

16. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

What would the French do with it ?

17. James650

James650 Junior Member

Don't have many Canadian coins, but I always save them. 'Specially the 5 cent pieces...I luv a little beaver...:)

18. Byron L Reed

Byron L Reed Junior Member

Times change. When I was a kid working in a grocery store in South Dakota the till had a Canada Tender button. No problems.

When I was selling a lot of postcards on eBay, I loved telling the Europeans to go ahead and send Euro paper. It worked just as well going back the other way for coins and I made a few cents on the transaction because they always rounded up.

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Around here that is the law. You must card EVERYONE no matter how old they look. Violator risk fines and losing their alcoholic beverage licenses. They also must card for tobacco products as well.

20. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

If you "look" younger than 27-30 here, you get carded.

I found a greek coin in one of my half dollar boxes, as well as a $1.00 token for the local batting cages, haha.

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes! I was a bartender in Southwest Florida for 15 years. The biggest offenders were the snowbirds from Canada...mostly from Ontario and Quebec. This was at a time when the exchange rate was about $1 CAN = 70c USD. These people would literally bring thousands of dollars in quarters, dimes & nickels with them and salt it into US change during their 2-3 month stay. It happened every winter. They were the biggest cheapskates I'd ever seen........driving their $250,000 RV down to Florida and parking it in a shopping center parking lot and stealing electric from the nearest pole.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted