Asking for CWR Halves

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by dangolf1890, Apr 23, 2014.

1. dangolf1890

dangolf1890 Junior Member

So I just started coin roll hunting in the San Francisco Bay Area. So far I've searched $500 worth of dimes and about $1000 worth of halves. I might be late to the game as I've only found one 1964-D dime and 1 1968 half. I think my problem is having only gone through shotgun rolls of halves. Anyway, I have a few questions about CRH in general.

1.) What is the best way to ask/obtain CWR half dollars?
    2.) Do people generally have more success obtaining half dollars from banks in remote areas (if so, how remote?).
    3.) How do people know whether a roll is Loomis, Guardia, Brinks, etc.? Can you just ask a teller where they get their rolls from? (seems kind of shady). I've been getting halves that come shotguned. Black stripes at the end.
    4.) How well does it work asking a teller if they have any silver coins in their tray? I mean if they are silver, wouldn't they keep it for themselves ?(I'm thinking it depends probably on if you are a long-time customer or do a lot a business with them).

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

The best way is to get a bank that will order you $1,000 BAGS, not rolls. Believe me...if you get a large quantity, ripping that paper off all those rolls will slice up the undersides of your fingernails pretty quickly. Try to sell it as a cost-saver for the bank - they don't have to paper roll them.

Some banks will tell you where they order their coin from. Some will not.

I've never had much luck with tellers giving me silver - most know the difference. (In my experience.)

Salt Lake City banks will order me coin and smile about it. They will also accept coin and smile about it.

St Louis banks will not order me coin at all. I have banks that will accept coin...but no supply.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

ask for either crw or bwr most banks carry both or they will just tell you what they have.. tellers usually take all the silver coins in their trays.... it never hurts to ask them. some tellers know what silver coins look like others do NOT. most do. the thing my girlfriend and I used to do was rubber stamp the return rappers so we would not get the dimes or pennies we just searched. now I have been dumping all our searched coins lately at our state bank counting machine. save you tons of time in re-rolling and it's free if you have an account with them or your bank. volume is the key. happy hunting.

5. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Volume is key, no matter where you are really.

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have the opposite problem, I have credit unions and banks calling me when stuff comes in and I don't have time to go through all of it. My routes with work get me all over, but not the time to go through the stuff.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Pardon my stupidity, but what the heck is "CWR"?

Coin World Rolls?
    Cannot Write Right?

Chris

green18 likes this.
  8. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Customer-wrapped rolls

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

WINK! - Well, I Never Knew!

If people started using the rest of the keyboard, maybe us old farts could understand them?

Chris

green18 likes this.
  10. hcmusicguy

hcmusicguy Member

From my own bank teller experience...

1.) What is the best way to ask/obtain CWR half dollars?
    Ask them if they have any rolls that customers have brought in. If you start talking about customer-wrapped or bank-wrapped rolls they will probably have no clue what you're talking about, since we do not usually wrap them ourselves.

2.) Do people generally have more success obtaining half dollars from banks in remote areas (if so, how remote?).
    It's all one and the same.

3.) How do people know whether a roll is Loomis, Guardia, Brinks, etc.? Can you just ask a teller where they get their rolls from? (seems kind of shady). I've been getting halves that come shotguned. Black stripes at the end.
    It could be a security risk for the bank to release this kind of information. If you came to me and asked, I wouldn't tell you.

4.) How well does it work asking a teller if they have any silver coins in their tray? I mean if they are silver, wouldn't they keep it for themselves ?(I'm thinking it depends probably on if you are a long-time customer or do a lot a business with them).
    Most tellers are smarter than you think, and if they themselves don't care about silver they will often sell it to one of their co-workers who does. Sure you have your rare story about seeing a tellers tray overflowing with silver dimes and quarters and halves, but this is indeed the exception to the rule. Knowledge is often shared, and if one teller knows what to look for, chances are the whole teller line does.

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Maybe it is where I live, older demographics, but CWR are usually better for halves and dimes. With nickels I go with BWR, but still take the CWR as a courtesy to my suppliers.

12. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

from my experience your best shot would be either
    a) banks near senior living communities/apartments
    b) credit unions out in the middle of nowhere
    c) banks or credit unions that handle a lot of coins for buisnesses

13. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Shush! Describes my coin roll hunting territory to a T!

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Acronyms are the Bane of society Chris. In my former line of work they were used on a daily basis and many times I was left wanting for an explanation.

Draft saved Draft deleted