Any idea what this square is on ten dollar gold coin?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Tinpot, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Looks like a counterstamp of some sort.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Some kind of assay mark? I know nothing about gold coins BTW :) Just a guess.

5. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

The coin itself looks suspicious to me. I question it's authenticity.

6. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Interesting, it was purchased from a well respected dealer, what makes you question its authenticity?

7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Maybe a jeweler's mark? There appears to be symbols or lettering inside the square.

green18 likes this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I like Sams take on this.......

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I agree with Matt, the coin looks like a cast fake to me. No idea what the extra mark is from or what it might mean.

And for whatever it's worth, that mark was there when the coin was made.

10. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

The mintmark looks mushy to me. The letters dont look as sharp as they should. I agree with others questioning the authenticity. If its a respected dealer, he should take a refund on a coin that is proven to be suspicious. I would take it to another dealer and see what is said about the coin.

11. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

OP, when you post an image directly from Photobucket, some personal data, including your name (and your one public album) shows up along with the image. Surely you don't want that??

Tinpot likes this.
  12. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The farm equipment was pretty interesting though. I like farm "toys"

13. e30kgk

e30kgk Member

My guess as to the stamp would be a counterstamp. Not sure of its origin, though.

I, too, am skeptical of the authenticity of this coin. The texture of the fields, most noticeably below the mint mark seems typical of a cast fake. There also appears to be a raised rim on the coin most visible in the picture between 12 and 3 o'clock. This should not be present on a real coin. Additionally, the details look inconsistent - the olive branch is mushy and less detailed than would be expected given the state of the eagle's feathers.

Tinpot likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

Click on the OPS's link, then use the + sign to blow the picture up to full size - it'll fill your screen. Then look at the D and the mark. The D, and the mark, were made at the same time. That is no counterstamp. The corner of the mark is actually under the D.

15. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

True.

16. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I was thinking about this piece today... I have never seen another like it... Maybe it's a lesser known middle eastern counterfeit and it might bear some sort of hallmark unique to these... Worth a further look.

Tinpot likes this.
  17. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Isn't that "edge" on the whole top rim wrong???

18. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Tinpot, can you provide photos of the obverse & reverse that are not at an angle?

19. Slider

Slider Member

When I blow up the other photo using the same technique, it looks pretty close, but I'm not convinced it falls under the D. But I agree with you and others...something seems off with this coin.

20. GDJMSP

21. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'm not convinced that the upper right corner of the square is under the point on the D. It almost looks to me that the lower point of the D was displaced outwardly by whatever made this mark.

That said, looking at the various details of this coin...things don't look right. Some of the details look "mushy" so I'm in agreement that the authenticity is questionable.

Without seeing the coin in hand, it's hard to know for sure (on either point). But, it looks suspicious.

Draft saved Draft deleted