Any extra value?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Detecto92, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I was about to list this and then I noticed at the upper right hand corner, 3 die gouges. The metal sticks up, because under high magnification there is tarnish around the edges, so it's not a pmd, the die was gouged.

I know what the coin itself is worth, but I wanted to know if this error added anything or not.
    DSCN8923.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

If it does have "extra value" you should sell it for less and not be greedy. Or, sell it for more and send me the difference. You don't need that much money.:rolleyes:

4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That's a pretty common coin and minted in high numbers. I don't see an attractiveness to those gouges...I doubt it would add any value. If the coin was high grade, it might even detract from the value.

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'm thinking it could conceivably fetch around a buck three-eighty over face value.

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Amen.

If the coin had "extra value" because of the "die chips", selling it for more just wouldn't be fair to examples without them.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's not often you see a round coin with corners.

Chris

SPP Ottawa and rickmp like this.
  8. CamaroDMD

Guys...be nice. He asked a fair question. I know sometimes Tim can inspire somewhat "interesting" reactions with his posts...but this is a normal coin question. If anyone else asked this question they would be given a normal and respectful answer.

Hotpocket and Ardatirion like this.
  9. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Minor die chips and such carry no premium unless the series has been studied (and collected) to death, like most US coinage.

medoraman likes this.
  10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree. Most stuff US collectors take for granted as "being rare and collectible" bring a large collective yawn for other series. A pristine coin is what world and ancient collectors want, and almost any defect from that is actually a negative to value, not a positive.

I think where the US attitide comes from in around the 1850's when collectors started seriously collecting US coins there were not a lot of them to collect, in comparison to the rest of the world. So, they started treating every die combination as a "unique" coin in order for US coinage to appear more important than it really was. From that the whole error arena also arose. This is my view of it at least from historical readings.

Btw, I agree wholeheartedly with Camaro. What is said on GD should stay on GD. I should be free to voice my opinion on a subject in GD without being blackballed when I might ask a coin question in another part of the forum. I also disagree with Tim on many of his threads, but will answer the man when he asks a legitimate coin question.

Gipper1985 and Ardatirion like this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Cam, I was just having a little fun. I think you're drilling too many holes.

Chris

12. CamaroDMD

Perhaps...but my comment wasn't directed only at you but to several people. :) I'm just saying we should be nice in this thread. This thread has nothing in it to pick on Tim about.

13. BooksB4Coins

Yes, but there is a marked difference, sir, between "picking on" someone and simply pointing out a reasonable and understandable irony.

And all things considered, I do not believe the responses received were at all unfair.

Perhaps initially, but it is not uncommon to see unnecessarily smarmy and/or attitude-filled responses that seemingly go unheeded on this board. Please understand that this is not intended as a critique of you or anyone else, but is a mere observation. As for any disrespect leveled towards the OP, either here or in GD, it pales in comparison to what he himself has given, particularly to those not here to defend against it. If he can dish in a much more attacking and hurtful manner, he surely should be able to take a little light-hearted ribbing without it being viewed as over the top.

All said respectfully, of course.

14. CamaroDMD

Look, Tim started this post asking a perfectly normal question...the ONLY person who responded to it without some kind of snide remark was me. That somewhat changed after I made my initial "play nice" post. I don't care if you don't think they were "unfair" or not. Our rules here say to treat people civil...if you don't believe me go read them. Do we allow someone to "reap what they sow" if they start a thread that causes an uproar. Yes we do, and as long as the comments don't get personal we let it go. If you don't believe me...look at the majority of GD posts by Tim. That said, he is entitled to the same privileges as any other member. That is, if he posts a normal coin related comment in one of the coin forums...he should be treated with the same respect as anyone else. Period. I'm not asking for your opinion on the matter...I'm telling you, STOP.

15. BooksB4Coins

Ahh.. it's good to know that opinions can be expressed and accepted, along with explanations provided in a respectful and gentlemanly manner. Thank you for your kind indulgence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.