Another newp, type set album. 1804-1960

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JBlade00, May 9, 2012.

1. JBlade00

JBlade00 New Member

I'm not necessarily going to sell them, but I like knowing that I can make some money if I decide I need to, etc... If coins are huge problems (you would know I have come across quite a few recently if you've been following my posts) I'm just going to dump them on ebay (with complete details on if I think they're cleaned, good pictures, etc... of course). As far as the ring, it looks like condensation (water) to me. I might have to rescue that coin and put it in a 2x2. However it has beautiful tone and I'm not sure if the water is helping or hurting it at this point? Any rush to get it out of there?

Understood. Heck, you might be right and they are all cleaned... I'm not an expert on all the type of cleaning yet but I feel I am going to become one quick if I keep buying from ebay :p I think the 1853 has a better chance of being scrubbed (especially on the reverse). There are some washed out spots. Not sure on the 1859 (hard to see one). It doesn't seem to me like it is because it has very nice details (EF+ imo) and could be natural luster. I could very well be mistaken.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. goincarcrazy

goincarcrazy Spends His Money On Money

I would probably want to get the coin away from water. As far as the toning goes, it looks like most of the silver has had exposure to cigarette smoke at some point which leaves the dark stains (like on the 20 cent piece) and dark blue toning. I have seen MANY a blue whitman album filled with black and yellow mercs for this same reason.

I posted this just last week as it kinda confused me as well. The answers might help your assessment of it: http://www.cointalk.com/t205508/#post1431239

4. JBlade00

JBlade00 New Member

Is there any way to repair that? Acetone?

Sorry, I was talking about the 1853 3-Cent. I don't believe the 1853 Quarter was cleaned either. No hairlines and it isn't washed out. It seems to have natural toning and it isn't super white (scrubbed, etc...).

I removed the 1859 3-Cent from the book and put it into a 2x2... However I should probably take it out and let it sit / dry. After getting a better look at it, it probably isn't EF+, but rather VF-EF. Also to reiterate I don't think it was cleaned but it does have a few bumps & bruises (tiny rim nick, longer scratch on obverse). Still a beautifully tones coin though IMO!

Draft saved Draft deleted