Ancients: Post your Apollonians

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by iamtiberius, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Apollonia Pontica 350-400 BC Thrace, Black Sea Region AR Diobol. Head of Apollo Facing / Anchor, flukes upward, A on left, crayfish on right - 10.1mm 1.1gr
    Apollonia Diobol 1.png

Apollonia Pontica 350-400 BC Thrace, Black Sea Region AR Diobol. Head of Apollo Facing / Anchor, flukes upward, A on left, crayfish on right, ΣΩ sideways to left - 10.5mm 1.25gr
    Apollonia Diobol 2.png

Apollonia Pontica 350-400 BC Thrace, Black Sea Region AR Diobol. Head of Apollo Facing / Anchor, flukes upward, A on left, crayfish on right, ΣΩ sideways to left - 12.3mm 1.27gr
    Apollonia Diobol 3.png
    Apollonia Pontica 350-400 BC Thrace, Black Sea Region AR Diobol. Head of Apollo Facing / Anchor, flukes upward, A on left, crayfish on right, ΣΩ sideways to left - 10.8mm 1.15gr
    Apollonia Diobol 4.png

Apollonia Pontika. 450-400 BC, AR Drachm?. Facing head of Medusa or Gorgeneion, hair rolled / Anchor, flukes upward, A to left, crayfish to right- 12.3mm 2.6gr
    Apollonia Drachm 2.png
    Apollonia Pontika. 450-400 BC, AR Drachm. Facing head of Medusa or Gorgeneion / Anchor, flukes upward, A to right, crayfish to left - 14.3mm 3.25gr
    Apollonia Drachm.png

I never really noticed, but apparently I have a thing for Apollonians.

vlaha, Gil-galad, Bing and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

[​IMG]
    THRACE, Apollonia Pontika
    Mid-late 4th century BC

AR drachm, 10 mm, 3.2 gm
    Obv: Facing gorgoneion
    Rev: Upright anchor; A to left, crayfish to right
    Ref: Topalov, Apollonia p. 348, 11

vlaha, Gil-galad, Bing and 2 others like this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Here is my humble addition ...

apollo face a.jpg apollo face b.jpg

... man, I really need to upgrade a few of my photos ...

vlaha, Gil-galad and RaceBannon like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

ApolloniaPontica.jpg
    APOLLONIA PONTICA AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: Gorgoneian facing with snakes for hair and a protruding tongue
    REVERSE: An anchor flanked by letter A and a crayfish, which represents the minting city of Apollonia, the major fifth century BC Greek colony on the west coast of the Black Sea, modern Sozopol in Bulgaria
    Struck at Apollonia 450-400 BC
    3.13g, 14-15mm
    BMC IX, Black Sea 150-151

vlaha, Gil-galad and stevex6 like this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Had one, turned out to be a fake, sent it back. Havent gotten near one since & dont plan too.

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I've had a similar experience with a quality fake coin of Mesembria. Fake coins of the Black Sea area have me scared & I would currently only buy from a top seller.
    Here is my Apollonia. Every time I view this Gorgon coin I wonder if it is real. Unfortunately, I did not buy it from a top seller.
    Gorgon Anchor Collage.jpg
    BLACK SEA AREA
    THRACE, Apollonia Pontika
    AR Drachm
    450-400 B.C.

2.86 grams, 13 to 14 mm
    Obv: Anchor with crayfish to rt, A to left
    Rev: Gorgoneion with extended tongue
    Grade: a gF coin with nice old toning
    claims to VF with the Gorgon
    reverse struck off center
    Other: Similar to Sear 1655.

Gil-galad and vlaha like this.
  8. I know what you mean. All of mine were purchased from the same top seller on ebay. The Medusa Drachm worries me the most. Fortunately, I haven't been able to match it with any known forgeries. Especially the "New York Hoard" of 1999, which I consulted all known examples before making this purchase.

Draft saved Draft deleted