Ancients - Pantikapaion Pandomonium

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Well, I received a shipment of coins today. Five coins to be exact. And all of them from Pantikapaion. Some are in better condition than others, all are different, and they all cost me $28 shipped from the same dealer. I hope this is not Pantikapaion overload;
    Pantikapaion 2.jpg
    THRACE, PANTIKAPAION AE18
    OBVERSE: Head of Pan left
    REVERSE: P-A-N, head & neck of bull three-quarters left.
    Struck at Pantikapaion 400-300BC
    4.0g, 18mm
    SNG BMC Black Sea 890

Pantikapaion 3.jpg
    THRACE, PANTIKAPAION AE16 Dichalkon
    OBVERSE: Beardless head of satyr Pan right, with ear of ass
    REVERSE: Forepart of Pegasos right
    Struck at Pantikapaion 310--304/3 BC
    3.0g, 16mm
    SNG BMC Black Sea 872

Pantikapaion 4.jpg
    THRACE, PANTIKAPAION AE20
    REVERSE: Roaring lion's head left; fish below. S
    truck at Pantikapaion 400-300BC
    5.0g, 20mm
    SNG BMC Black Sea 883

Pantikapaion 5.jpg
    THRACE, PANTIKAPAION AE12
    OBVERSE: Beardless head of Pan right
    REVERSE: Bow in case, inscription PAN above, TI below
    1.3g, 12mm
    SNGCop 50

Pantikapaion 6.jpg
    THRACE, PANTIKAPAION AE18
    REVERSE: Bow and arrow
    4.4g, 18mm
    SNG BMC Black Sea 894

vlaha, randygeki, chrsmat71 and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

These Pantikapaion coins have been growing on me lately. I would really love that set, and what a great price you got them for!

John Anthony likes this.
  4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Huh? All 5 of those for $28. That's a great deal and nice coins for sure, for the price.

5. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Nice set. The crud on coin numero 3 looks like it can be easily removed if desired.

6. Bing

Thanks for the comments. This makes 6 coins from this region in my collection. I posted them in the order of the ones I find most pleasing. Interesting that Pantikapaion is now in the modern day Crimea which is in the news here of late.
    Yes, I thought about attempting to clean this coin, but my skills are rather rusty (pun). I may give it a go in the near future.
    Yeah, how could I pass on such a deal. The dealer said he has more of the same, but this is enough for me for the time being.

7. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Really nice Pans Bing!!
    I have only one with any detail. Your first three are smashing! Thumbs up!!

8. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow jw, 5 great coins, love the color, you sure can find them..

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Mmmmm, PAN ...

Obviously Bing, your incredible thrift-skills have scored you another awesome winner deal!! (congrats ... outstanding purchase)

pan & griffin a.jpg pan & griffin b.jpg

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I love those coins! Not sure why I don't have any yet. Must rectify.

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'll add coins shown before showing one of Bing's types with countermarks on both sides. These once sold for a lot more than they do now. In 1991, I bought a pair showing the original and contemporary cast copies found together in a hoard. Not long ago, I upgraded the struck one and sold the original original for a considerable loss. It is a fine example of a coin that lost half its value in 20 years. I have no idea of the purpose of the star/bow case countermark. g00940bb0505.jpg g00950bb0506.jpg

vlaha, chrsmat71, stevex6 and 4 others like this.
  12. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Nice set Bing. I like the look and the patina. Great price too...all that for under $30. Amazing.

13. Bing

The only one I had prior to this purchase was one I obtained from a member of this forum. It has the same countermarks of Doug's coins:
    Pantikapaion.jpg
    THRACE, PANTIKAPAION AE21
    REVERSE: Roaring lion's head left; fish below
    5.3g, 21mm
    SNG BMC Black Sea 883

vlaha, chrsmat71, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

An impressive haul for an impressive price. I find this coinage very interesting, but I've always been outbid on the pieces I wanted.

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i really like the first one, but the whole thing for the price you paid is awesome.

i definitely those are cleaning candidates if you want to give it a go.

16. John Anthony

I wouldn't do any more to those coins than soak them in distilled water and give them a very light brushing with a very soft toothbrush. Sometimes pics accentuate deposits, when the coins look perfectly fine in hand.

In fact, I've bought a few coins that I intended to clean, and when I got them, I was surprised to find that I liked them exactly as they were.

dougsmit likes this.
  17. Bing

The third coin I posted looks like it needs cleaning even in hand. I might do as you say JA and soak it in distilled water for a few days. I don't think that can hurt it. Otherwise, it is a nice coin. Hard to take a decent image of any of them to be honest. I tried several different positions/lighting, and the ones you see are the best I can get.

18. John Anthony

The pics look perfectly good to me. I'm just saying that sometimes, in any pic, deposits can look far more egregious than they do in hand. I think it's a great type set - you've rekindled my interest in Pantikapaion so don't be surprised if I have some coins to post in the near future. Did I mention I was stalking you? o_O

19. Bing

You did, but for the life of me I don't know why. I'm just a cheap bottom feeder.

randygeki likes this.
  20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted