Ancients - Another Bargain Basement Find

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I was able to procure this coin shipped for $8.50 mainly, imo, because the sellers images were so poor. The first images are the sellers, while the second are mine. I think you can see why the coin did not garner much attention:
    Desktop9.jpg

To me, this image didn't look like much, but I was intrigued by the reverse. When I couldn't find anything like it on wildwinds, I decided to bid a low bid. I wanted to get it in hand to see if I could further identify the coin. The seller only said it was from "Amisoy" which also peaked my interest since I figured it was Amisos and most probably Pontos Amisos. I was correct. The coin arrived in yesterday evening's mail and in short order I was able to attribute the coin minus the symbol in the lower right field. I would be grateful if someone has insight into this symbol. It kinda looks like "Pi", but I am most probably wrong.

So here are my images and the attribution I was able to discern:
    100OLYMP15.jpg
    AMISOS, PONTOS Æ17
    OBVERSE: Head of Dionysos with ivy-wreath right
    REVERSE: AM-ISOS, Thyrsos
    Struck at Amisos 85-65 BC
    4.0g, 17mm
    SNG BM 1192-1195

Any corrections or additions would be most welcomed.

zumbly, randygeki, stevex6 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Well it go's to show you, learn how to use your camera, i got a Cannon T3i for Christmas, still learning how to use it. awesome coin, even if would have paid $50 looks like a good deal. very nice jw !!!

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Cool addition!

5. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Hmm, I can't tell what the symbol is, but I know it's one sweet coin!

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

7. Bing

Thanks TIF. I just modified my catalog to indicate "monogram".

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great bargain find bing!

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Good eye, Bing! You've got to look very closely at the seller's pic to realize that coin has good detail, which obviously you did.

Bing likes this.
  10. Bing

Thanks JA and everyone that commented. The one thing being on a spousal imposed budget does is make me work hard to find coins within those confines. IT'S NOT EASY!

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, great new bargain-basement score!! ...

=> you are definitely the Master-angler of bottom-feeders!! (congrats)

... that coin looks far more worthy than the pittance that you ended-up paying (I've spent $8.50 on a frosty beer) ... money well spent, brother!!

12. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

If I could actually find cheap and still nice ancient Greeks like that one, I'd probably start collecting them a bit. Nice catch.

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

14. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Good find......nice to see past the sellers pics and trust in your gut instinct.:)

15. Bing

Thanks YOC, but I think you give me too much credit. I figured I could take a chance on a coin for $8.50. As Steve said, I've spent that much on a single drink, which in itself is ridiculous if you think about it. If it had turned out to be junk, I could just toss it in the ole junk box and just move on. I think I just got lucky on this one. I am pleased with the coin after all.

stevex6 likes this.
  16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Yet another one I wouldn't mind having in my collection. Excellent score!

Draft saved Draft deleted