Ancient: Tetricus I

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Mar 23, 2014.

1. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

excelsior coins on ebayuk has been selling some real beauties recently at £8 each....from a hoard found in the eastern part of the UK as I understand...I have seen them in hand and you wont find much better.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I just won a victorinus, wasnt what I wanted to the coin I really wanted but it went for moon money, its still an emperor I need.

John Anthony likes this.
  4. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

I like your Tetricus I Mat. Nice detail, good reverse and legible legends. Sadly my Tetricus I and II are a bit rough and more typical of what's out there I think. Their distinguishing feature is a rather crude reverse and worn or clipped away legends. In fact these two are so rough my attribution on them is a SWAG at best.

Tetricus I; 270-273 AD
    Bronze; AE Antoninianus
    OBV: IMP C TETRICVS P F AVG, radiate draped bust right
    REV: PAX AVG, Pax standing left holding wreath and scepter
    (RIC VI 100)

Tetricus II; 251-253 AD
    Bronze; AE Antonianus, Trier
    OBV: C PIV ESV TETRICVS CAES, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REV: SPES PVBLICA, Spes walking left holding flower in right and raising skirt with left hand,
    (RIC VI 272)
    Tetricus I Obv.JPG Tetricus I Rev.JPG Tetricus II OBV.JPG Tetricus II REV.JPG

stevex6, Gil-galad, vlaha and 3 others like this.
  5. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I think your attributions are good......

6. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Barbaric, or just corroded?? its difficult with these to know where bad strike/flans becomes unofficial....although I suppose they were all unnofficial as far as Rome was concerned.

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

YOC brings up a point that has interested me for years and for which I see no answer. We have no records that state what were the 'official' mints at any point in Roman history. We have several periods where branch mints operated. Were these fully sanctioned by Rome or just tolerated? One such time was under Claudius I where we see Spanish style asses now being considered to be a branch mint product rather than fully unofficial as they were a few decades ago. Drawing the line is harder when the 'official' coins were from a usurper (Magnentius, Carausius, all the Gallics etc. etc.). We really need to be careful making assumptions and drawing lines in the sand that could be shown wrong if we only had documents from the time that explained everything.

8. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

My Tetricus II
    Tetricus II Antoninianus, struck 273/274 AD
    Obv: C PIV ESV TETRICVS CAES, radiate and draped bust right.
    Rev: PIETAS AVGVSTOR, Sacrificial implements, spinkler, simpulum, jug and lituus.
    tetricus 210.JPG tetricus 209.JPG

RaceBannon, stevex6, vlaha and 2 others like this.
  9. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Another Tetricus II, die clash on reverse.
    tetricus 245.JPG tetricus 246.JPG

RaceBannon, stevex6, Bing and 3 others like this.
  10. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Tetricus II spes Publica? rev.......or Augg?
    Tetricus II Antoninianus, struck 272/273 AD at mint I.
    Obv: C PIV ESV TETRICVS CAES, radiate and draped bust right.
    Rev: SPES PVBLICA?, Spes walking left, holding flower in right hand and raising skirt with left hand.
    traces of silvering still present on obverse.... tetricus 265.JPG tetricus 266.JPG

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice ones YOC, I like the die clash.

12. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Thanks Mat..I love Gallics , but Tetricus II is my least favourite portrait...I prefer the beards. they all look like JA and DS;)

13. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I looked all over for "excelsior coins" on ebay uk but could not find the shop. I found Excelsior Coins but no ancients based in the US. I doubt that's the shop. Could you give me the link to the shop, thanks YOC.

14. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

15. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Thanks again! For whatever strange reason the coins were not showing up when I searched ebay.co.uk. Nor when I was looking for the shop.

16. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

tetricus-i.jpg

Tetricus I Æ Antoninianus. 271-274 AD, 2.1g, 19mm

OBV: IMP C TETRICVS P F AVG, Radiate draped bust right.

REV: PAX AVG, Pax standing left holding wreath and scepter.

REF: RIC 100, Cohen 95.

17. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

tetricusII.jpg

Tetricus II AE Antoninianus. 3.1g, 20.35mm

OBV: CP ESV TETRICVS CAES, Radiate, draped bust right.

REV: SPES AVGG, Spes advancing left holding flower and raising robe.

REF: RIC 271

These two Tetricus and Tetricus II coins I purchased from Bing (among many others) when I first started collecting ancients about 2 years ago.

vlaha, stevex6 and John Anthony like this.
  18. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Nice OP Tetricus I coin. Finding decent coins of both can be a challenge. I like both of mine even though they are not high grade but they have full legends and no cracks that I can see.

Draft saved Draft deleted