ANCIENT -Lords of Bukhara- (775-785)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

This is a fairly new coin type for me. I really don't know too much about this coin type outside the fact the were circulated along the silk road by Sogd traders, a class of merchant culture living in Central Asia. This coin is made in the Sassanian Persian style, a broad thin coin with a "stylized" Persian bust right with a familiar look. The reverse features a Zoroastrian fire altar and inside the flames is the but of Ahura Mazda God of Knowledge and Intellect, flanked by ribbons and attendants. I like this coin because it displays influence from different cultures. The coin is struck in the name of the Abbasid Caliph al-Mahdi in Sogd script, while the coin is described imitating the Sassanid Shah Bahram V, for use by the Turko-Hephthalite rulers of Bukhara. I think the coin is a great representation of the geopolitical situation is Central Asia in the late 8th century.

Turco-Hephthalite
    Lords of Bukhara
    in the name of Abbasid Caliph Muhammad al-Mahdi (775-785 AD)
    AR/BI Drachm 25 mm x 2.50 g
    Obverse:Sogd script-Lord of Bukhara; Persian Bust right.
    Reverse: Zoroastrian fire altar flanked by ribbons and attendents. Bust of Ahura Mazda right in flames.
    Ref: Album 94BMAS319 ??

Attached Files:

chrsmat71 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Awesome!

Very interesting type :thumb:

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Pretty nice one. They were derivatives of sassanid issues. By this time sogdians and hepthalites were pretty much the same people, right before the muslims took over the entire area. I have one similar and one later, more stylized. Probably one of the last sogdian silver coins issued.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

ou4380bb2718.jpg ou4383bb2791.jpg

All I know about these is that they come in a wide variation of silver/copper alloys. The holed one in copper was cheap. You don't see many nicer ones than Anoob's.

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i like the blockish style of the bust/fire alter theme on this coin, very cool! :thumb:

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cool coins, gang ....

:thumb::thumb:

hmmm, I don't have a single coin from that century (I must try harder!!)

8. Ancientnoob

I know there is another type of this coin, which was an experiment in fiduciary coinage. Where at some point the powers that be, replaced the silver drachms with a 6 metal alloy coin, to be circulated at the same value as the silver coin but at some point this failed. I am in the market to pick up the 6 metal coin...silver,bronze,gold,tin,zinc and lead, it makes for a really ugly coin. I have developed a liking to the ugly coins.

9. Ancientnoob

Fixed photo image.jpg

Windchild likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted