An 1889s Morgan, Varnish, Acetone and a journey....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ethan, May 1, 2014.

1. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Well I did this a long time ago and lets just say that I paid over spot almost double at the time..(~$69)..it was something and the wife and I wanted to see if we could 'fix' it. With a mintage of around 700,000 it is a scarce Morgan, especially in a good grade..

Here is what I started with,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The back looks awesome but the obverse was hideous but I could see under the varnish almost no wear. So new to this I asked questions. After many suggestions it was decided that acetone was the best bet...So I went and got some at the hardware store. I decided to soak it overnight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is what was left in the jar in the morning,

[​IMG]

This was the result:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just got it out and took a couple more, one to see if it changed over time (1.5yrs) and two to show the other one I bought to see just how good mine looks. I mean you will see the other one, about VG-10 or so, not really sure..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know, don't fuss about picture quality as I am working on that one. Still what a difference! I think this is a great example of when acetone works. I think in the early 1900's it was common to cover coins in varnish for protection or something. Here are some closeups with a USB microscope,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was a great experience that the wife and I had fun with. I am not sure of the grade per se but looking at it, it is EF minimum but who cares? I had fun, have a great coin, and a neat story to go long with it. Maybe one day I will figure out if it is a VAM as I have no ideas about those at this time.

I wonder if this would come back from a TPG as details? This is a fine example of restoration and the coin was not hurt in any way. The only thing I can say is the obverse has lost 'luster', yet the reverse looks BU. There is little to no wear on the obverse, but it does have a brown tint to it. You can see luster underneath it but the varnish stained it some.

Anyhow, just thought I would share it with the forums being new and all...

Thanks

Some pricing I saw today on these...I think I did ok...

AU55 AU58 MS61 MS62 MS63
    1889-S $111.65 $170.00 $265.00 $255.00 $366.66

John Anthony likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. StephenS

StephenS Member

Pretty awesome!

4. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Coin looks like AU50/53 details to me, EF seems a little tough.

I'm actually really impressed because that layer of varnish was extremely thick!

spirityoda likes this.
  5. Ethan

Well I am told I can not grade worth a crap so I went under. Thank you for the AU vote. You see here is the way I look at it. It can not be mint state as the luster is impaired on the obverse. I see no wear to speak of so AU seems reasonable to me, but in every other post were I have tried I have been told I go to high, so I settled down one from my guess.

To be honest, we thought we could remove it with a fingernail. Well it was much harder than we thought. That stuff is like Lexan. I would say it was at least 1/8" and you can see from the pics someone had tried to get it off.

Back when I was looking for a way to remove it, one person had a really neat idea. Freeze it and then cover with a towel and crack it with a hammer. I am glad I did not choose that one...

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'm also impressed that it all came off with an acetone bath. Nice work.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

It might have been lacquer instead of varnish; doesn't matter, both will dissolve in acetone (outdoors!!!). I seem to recall English medals being routinely lacquered.

8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Yes, it is a wonderful restoration job. It is still a details coin, as there is obviou evidence of the cleaning. I would grade it as AU details. Nice job!!!

9. Ethan

Ok thanks everyone. I have a question then, I agree it is details as I know it was restored and even a novice collector can tell it has something wrong with the obverse just by looking at the reverse. However, if I could somehow make the reverse loose some luster, then it might not be so noticeable but that is not my intent nor will I do it. I just wish I could get a decent picture, it is not as bad as the picture shows and looks pretty darn good in hand.

The fact is it is "Details". So in this case, if AUish, what damage price wise is done to its numismatic value? If not a $150 coin, then does the details cut it in half, 3/4, 90%, or just melt?

10. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Maybe there's still some material left on the obverse. Why don't you soak it again, this time in lacquer thinner or mineral spirits? Outside!!!

11. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

A lot of time Acetone baths can go unnoticed, however, one that is overnight will definitely be easier to identify. Also, there are some pretty gnarly looking abrasive marks on that coin from a past cleaning is what it looks like i.e. what you did with the coin isn't necessarily what gives it the details grade.

And there is no exact way to determine the value of a cleaned coin. Each cleaning is different.
    I think somewhere in the $50-$80 range is a fair estimate for what this coin's numismatic value is. It could sell for more, could sell for less; cleaned coins are unpredictable in the market place.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It kind of sounds like you don't understand. The coin is not a problem coin because it had the varnish removed. Removing the varnish didn't hurt the coin at all.

The coin is a problem coin because it was harshly cleaned before the varnish was ever put on the coin.

As for value, Heritage shows similar examples in the $50-$60 range.

CamaroDMD and Morgandude11 like this.
  13. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Exactly right. That is what I was saying and we agree. :) The damage was done years ago, when the surfaces of the coin were abraded by a heavy cleaning/polishing. The varnish removal made the coin at least attractive looking, but could obviously not restore the damaged surfaces. I would say that is a $50 coin. A nice AU coin commanding the prices that Ethan had posted would have to be in really attractive AU condition.

14. Ethan

Those prices were from CoinSociety website. If it is only $50-60 then I did not do so good. I have not sold it so I never lost money so to speak, but heck I never sell anything so I never loose money. Still it is an attractive coin to me that has a tale with it....including pics. :)

15. Ethan

Well I guess Acetone is good for getting crap off coins. I was looking this up and darn if all the pictures are gone, well most anyway. Just thought I would post the final product. I am doing inventory so old items popping up....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It looks good. How long did you let it soak? It looked pretty nasty.

17. Ethan

24-36 hours I think..

Draft saved Draft deleted