Advice wanted for 2nd individual ancient purchase

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Lord Geoff, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

All right I am having trouble uploading files so I am just going to upload links. If someone else wants to copy over the picture files that would be fine.

Coin#1 - which I feel safe is at least a fair deal if not a good one.

http://bargainbinancients.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=1701

Faustina Jr. Sestertius : Nice dark patina : 32mm
    $57.00
    Not sure of the reverse identification but it is certainly a large sestertius of Faustina Jr. Tough to take a pic of as it is a very dark green/black patina, but the portrait is nice with no problems except for some overall wear. This one is DEFINITELY better than the pic. 32mm, 24.1gms

stevex6, vlaha, TIF and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

Coin #2 - I bought this as I found VERY few examples of single busts of her that weren't either completely corroded and like $80 or were like $400-500 for a coin of around this quality. Also I got a discount. Also I like the toning (I think) and that goddess on the back looks like she is about to bring it.

http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/pra...41__244_ad__ae_28_mm_rare/487664/Default.aspx

Bithynia, Prusa ad Olympum: Tranquillina, Augusta, 241 - 244 AD. AE 28 mm, Rare
    Bithynia, Prusa ad Olympum: Tranquillina, Augusta, 241 - 244 AD. AE 28 mm, 9.4 gm. Obv: CABEINIA TΡANKΥΛΛEINA, diademed and draped bust right. Rev: ΠΡOΥCAEΩN, Demeter advancing left, holding torch in each hand. BMC Bithynia p. 199, 33; Lindgren -. Rare.

stevex6, vlaha, TIF and 2 others like this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great choice on the Faustina II! BBA's pics are all very dark. You'll find the coin is much brighter in hand.

5. John Anthony

The Tranquillina is also a great coin - good eye. It's definitely a dupondius or sestertius-sized coin, but those denomination names are generally only used for imperial coinage. We don't know what the various denominations were called in the provinces, so they just get described by diameter, in this case: AE28.

Both are nice, big coins that will feel great in your hand. Well-done.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coins, ive eyed that Tranquillina just to have but other bargains fell into my lap so I didnt bother. I think the color of it may be because of how it was cleaned when found.

7. John Anthony

It's a bit over-cleaned to be sure, but nothing serious in my estimation. It'll darken up naturally over time.

8. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

Thanks! I was a little worried it wouldn't go over well or had some problems, but from what I saw it was very difficult to get a single bust of her that didn't look like an indistinguishable cull.

That way I'm not facing down a major expensive hole later on.

Looking forward to receiving them :)

9. John Anthony

You'll find that many of the emperors and empresses that are scarce and expensive in the imperial coinage, are much easier to acquire in the provincial issues.

10. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

Ah that is good to know. A few of them (Titi, Orbiana, I think Domitia) are absurdly expensive. I mean I could save a couple months to purchase one, but I'm not sure if I'm going to feel right about spending $100+ on a largely unrecognizable coin, just to fill a hole or complete the collection.

11. John Anthony

Well, not all of them though. Those three are always going to be pricey.

12. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

Well I don't have to get them ALL. Paying $200 for an unattractive coin just to have it seems a bit inane, especially considering you can get like 6 awesome coins for that amount of money.

13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats my logic, thats why Otho hasnt been added to my collection *still awaiting under $400 bargain.*

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree as well. No sense buying a coin you will never enjoy. Nice pickups man, especially the sestertius. ;)

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Both are very nice. Congrats.

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is something we have discussed before. I disagree with JA. I prefer not to post information about coming attractions because I don't want to jinx the completion of the acquisition. The last thing I want to do is to suggest to a seller that I am getting the coin to end all coin purchases worth ten times the price before he actually mails it too me. I prefer to wait, handle the coin, decide if I believe it is genuine and correctly identified and then, only then, post it for all to see (and say, "Why did he buy that thing?").

A week from tomorrow, snow willing, I plan to attend the big coin show in Baltimore. I have no incoming coins from earlier purchases so I may be able to deal with the guilt of buying something too expensive for my blood if I happen to see the coin to end all coins. Wish me luck and tell me what I need to buy to round out my collection. When I go to a show some dealer who does not know me always asks what I'm looking for. The current honest answer that I will never say is, "Coins I can show and not be laughed off Coin Talk!" :D

stevex6, TIF and zumbly like this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The reverse legend is CONCORDIA SC. The coin is from the period of Faustina as 1st daughter while Antoninus Pius was still alive. I consider this a good buy. It is not the most common coin but the seller should have been able to ID it.

18. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Theodora? I mention her, because I have just finished cleaning two small AE4 coins depicting her and baby.

Lord Geoff likes this.
  19. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Some of us may scratch our heads, but I'm quite sure we never laugh.
    Good luck! Looking forward to seeing whatever you bring back.

TIF likes this.
  20. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

Best of luck and I hope you find what you want!

21. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

Crap now I have to update my spreadsheet :)

Draft saved Draft deleted