2009 France International Year of Astronomy Silver Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stoster38, Sep 23, 2011.

1. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase this coin and so far have only seen it listed on the French Mint site. Does anyone know of any reputable dealers, in the United States, of modern french coins that I can contact?

Thanks!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't know of any dealers stateside who might have these available, but if you were lucky to find one, it might cost you more than what you pay by ordering directly from the Monnaie de Paris. I've ordered merchandise directly from the mint on numerous occasions in the past and have always been satisfied.

By the way, if you find a European dealer who sells on eBay, I can almost guarantee that you will pay more for it because there is a Value Added Tax (VAT) imposed for all purchases from the Paris Mint made within the European Economic Community.

Chris

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

No, and no. :) First of all, the VAT is paid by the "end consumer" - that means, if I (being a collector, and in the EU, but not a dealer) buy a coin from the Monnaie de Paris, I pay the French TVA. A dealer will provide his tax ID, and not pay the tax - but if that dealer then sells the coin, he will have to pay the local VAT. And if the net prices are the same, it may even pay off to not buy from the MdP, as the French TVA on coins is 19.6 percent while the German USt on coins is 7 percent.

Now if you are located outside the EU (there is no such thing as a "European Economic Community" - it is simply called European Union; the EEC and the EC were predecessors so to say), you do not pay the TVA as a MdP customer. Not all mints/dealers will do this though; if you walk into a coin shop and buy a piece, you will simply pay the full price. Whether you can get the tax refund is then basically your business.

That being said, if the OP does not want to buy from MdP directly, there may be alternatives such as EuroCollections (Downies in the US so to say) http://www.eurocollections.com/ or the RSM (neither royal nor Scandinavian nor a mint, but in the US :) ) http://rsmint.com/ . If they don't list the piece, it may still be worth asking ...

(Edit) Apparently the €10 piece is sold out at the Monnaie de Paris ("Tirage épuisé"), and the two US dealers I mentioned do not list it. Here are two offers from MA-Shops, but these two dealers are in Germany, and shipping to the US would be somewhat expensive:
    http://www.ma-shops.de/berk/item.php5?id=20
    http://www.ma-shops.de/poetz/item.php5?id=543

Christian

5. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I know this is an old thread but after a little over 4 years I finally got this coin!!! I first saw it at the 2009 ANA World's Fair of Money. Several mints were there including the French Mint. The coin was $90 which I thought was a little expensive. So I figured I would wait & buy it for less on the secondary market.

Kept looking & looking & looking but none of the dealers I normally bought foreign coins from had this one coin. I would check Ebay every now & then but no one was selling it. Earlier this year it came up on Ebay but seller wanted $140 for it. Was more than I was willing to spend even though I wanted the coin.

So I waited & waited again!! Finally last week another seller on Ebay had it for opening bid of $99.99 plus $5.95 shipping. The bidding ended shortly after midnight last Saturday and I stayed up to bid on it. Don't have snipe software or service.

No one else ended up bidding on it!! Got the coin on Monday morning. Seller sent it 2 day priority!! I can't believe I finally have it!! Here are a couple of pics!!!

IMG_0812.jpg IMG_0813.jpg

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Great for you! Yes, the piece is somewhat expensive, but it sure is a cool design. :)

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted