2000 D lincoln monstrosity

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by silv, Dec 14, 2013.

1. silv

silv Active Member

uploadfromtaptalk1386998104775.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386998128995.jpg

Found this last night while copper roll hunting. Did some searching and couldn't determine the error type. Its not a clash but rather a fused extra layer of copper, like some reverse side chunk that got stuck to the dies and then was fused to a later planchet via strike? Reverse side has more of what appears to be a bubbly gluey substance. This residue could likely be removed but not until I understand what this frankencoin is. Obverse is pretty sweet. Any idea of how this occurred or of possible rarity/value?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Looks like glue/epoxy from another 2 coins that were stuck to it. It is not an error.

Shoewrecky and kaosleeroy108 like this.
  4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

5. 40_mila_kokkina

40_mila_kokkina Active Member

It's a Monsantocoin! :eek:

BigTee44 likes this.
  6. silv

silv Active Member

Oh rats just epoxy?! Weird that the designs could transfer so clearly. Looking closer I guess it looks like only glue residue but not yet 100% coinvinced.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You can try water, isopropyl alcohol, and acetone for common glues. CA and epoxy glue can sometime be removed by putting the object in a zip lock and in the freezer for a day and then see if the glue pops off due to the differential expansion/contraction rates between the metal and the glue. Heat could do the same thing and I use it to separate gemstones that have been glued to metal object with CA, but not advisable on coins :)

But likewise I am certain it is glue also.

kaosleeroy108 likes this.
  8. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

9. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Soak it in Goo Gone to get rid of the epoxy.

rascal likes this.
  10. silv

silv Active Member

I thank y'all for the quick sharp diagnosis, that's why I love this place. However I am going to slap it in a flip and hold onto it for now, because I am not 100% on epoxy theory, something about it just doesn't add up and I don't want to jack it up with improper cleaning.

11. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

An acetone dip will not harm this coin. Acetone will only remove gunk and stuff that was never part of the original coin.

One thing to think about when discussing errors is thinking "how could this have happened at the mint?" In the case of the coin in this thread, the appearance of the anomalies can't really be attributed to anything that could happen in the striking chamber.

Draft saved Draft deleted