1988 Silver Penny?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fishing_guru, Aug 18, 2010.

1. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Please don't cut it or damage it. If it is on a silver planchet, you destroy all the value !!! Don't put in into any solutions and run an electrical current through it either !

Voice of experience.

gary

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Prospector

Prospector Member

Naaa.. I'd send it somewhere and let a professional test it, I'm sure they have a devise that can x-ray it and determine it's composition.

I sent a few emails to a few, Fred Weinberg was one of them.

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Weight and SG (Specific Gravity) would answer a lot of questions.

5. Prospector

Prospector Member

The problem with weight would be; What would it weigh if it is Zinc that was used to make a penny Planchet? or whatever they used to make Nickels and Dimes.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

For a 1978 (or 1988) if you want to know if it is on a dime planchet just look at the edge and see if it is clad on a copper core.

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would imagine if it were zinc it would be just slightly under the weight of a modern penny, but be considerably heavier than a modern penny of it used a dime planchet.

8. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

1988 cents (like all cents since mid-1982) were made of zinc plated with pure copper. So if the weight is correct (or very, very nearly so) that may indicate the coin was struck on an unplated (but otherwise normal) zinc planchet. Nickels and dimes were not struck on zinc planchets.

9. ynnika lopez

ynnika lopez New Member

Hi i h
    I have a silver penny i put i got a roll os dimes from the bank...and came in side....also a have a dime from 1887..and a lots old conis...need to now the value

10. Cowboy Bill

Cowboy Bill New Member

We found a 1988 penny and kept a, slightly larger than a penny but smaller than a nickel that is also nickel colored. I tried to attach image, but in this forum, it won't allow me to. What do you think?

11. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Someone either plated it or removed the copper plating. It's what we call PMD, Post Mint Damage.

12. William Long

William Long New Member

William Gregory I have one too. It is thicker than a penny too and just slightly concave.

13. William Long

William Long New Member

14. Maria Garcia

Maria Garcia New Member

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's a penny. You lost 9 cents on that transaction.

16. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

So what's the melt value?

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Less than a cent cause it is zinc.
    As per Coinflation:
    $0.0075160 is the melt value for the 1982-2014 zinc cent on August 11, 2017.

18. posbod

posbod New Member

I have 1997cent with no copper platting. Weight 2.5 grams as listed in Red Book and 19MM. It is high A.U. condition. Not sand blasted. The only way to tell for sure if has been tampered with or is real ,is send it off to be graded. It could result in something good or be a large waste of time and money.

19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I would suggest that you save your money.

20. Phantom2

Phantom2 New Member

I have a 1988 silver penny that has and engraved image that looks like a Christmas present to the right of Lincoln's head I would like to know if anybody has any information on this coin

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

They didn't make them in silver with Christmas presents by Lincoln's head. Honest.

Draft saved Draft deleted