1971 Jefferson NO "S" nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jakchota, Apr 1, 2014.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Old eyes is tired. Till the AM dear folks......

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

i appreciate the help, ill go to the dealer in the city and see what comes about.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's now April 2nd. The joke is over, but if you are really serious, the joke has been on you.

Chris

5. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

I'm serious, but idk if your messing around with me or not lol.. can we be serious for a few mins?

6. cpm9ball

I am being serious! It is not a proof coin. I figured you were the one trying to play a joke.

Chris

7. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

thanks, does it have any value to it?

8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

you do this and you will do nothing but embarrass yourself...

9. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

i have like 10 1943p so ill go for those and show the other 71 after , which kinda won't be as embarrassing . hahaha

10. cpm9ball

If you do this, the dealer will probably never take you seriously and won't waste his time with you. I suggest that you get a few books and start learning about the hobby......history, grading, varieties, errors, production methods, etc.

I noted that you posted this coin in the "For Sale" forum. If you ever expect anyone here to take you seriously, you need to demonstrate that you want to learn about the hobby, first.

Chris

PS. This is not an April 2nd joke!

11. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Not proofs
    Value 5¢

As for the 43's are they uncirculated? Otherwise worth about buck

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm not sure anyone has explained this directly yet in the thread, so let me try.

There were over 100 million "No S" nickels minted in 1971 -- regular circulation strikes from the Philadelphia mint. In those days, Philadelphia-minted coins had no mint mark. The four nickels you've shown are these circulation strikes. They're worth five cents each.

There were over 3 million proof nickels minted in 1971. All were supposed to have the "S" mint mark. A few hundred, maybe a thousand or more, were accidentally minted without the mint mark. Those are rare and valuable.

But even after being heavily circulated, proof coins differ from regular business-strike coins. With a little experience, you can identify circulated proofs pretty easily. The coins in your picture aren't circulated proofs.

We see the same question come up frequently here, usually about dimes -- there were "No S" proof dimes in 1968, 1970, 1975, and 1983. Again, though, there were many millions of business strikes with no S (or D).

If you find a no-S coin in change, it's not a valuable rarity. Yes, it could be -- but you've got much better odds of winning the lottery, then nearly being struck by lightning on your way to claim your winnings, except that at the last second an incoming meteor deflected the bolt.

CallMeButter and silentnviolent like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted