1970-S Lincoln -- Is this a small or large date??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rbm86, Sep 5, 2004.

1. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

Attached is a auction for a proof 1970-S Lincoln described as a "small date" Unless my eyesight is going, this looks like a "large date" to me. I compared at the photos in the Red Book and still think it is a large date.

Take a look and let me know what you think!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3927602704

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jody526

jody526 New Member

There's something wrong with your link.

4. JTF

JTF New Member

Link works, not sure.

5. JTF

JTF New Member

The auction ended early.

6. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

7. jody526

jody526 New Member

I'm not much of an expert on proof Lincolns, but I believe that's a "Large Date" variety.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No doubt about it - it is a large date. The two main diagnostics I use to differentiate the two are the top of the 7 and the loop of the 9 as I feel these are the easiest to see.

Small date

Large date

9. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I agree with GD - that is definitely a low 7.

10. collect4fun

collect4fun Senior Member

Wouldn't a "low" 7 make it a small date?

Small dates and large dates, unless displayed side by side, are tough for me to tell apart.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

collect4fun -

Here's a little mnemonic ( memory kick ) to help you - Low 7 = Large date.

Use the first letter of the word being the same to remember ;)

12. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

See how the word LIBERTY is nice and bold? Definately a large date.
    LIBERTY is washed out and weak on all the small dates I've seen.

Nick

13. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

Thanks, everyone, that's what I thought, but it helps to get confirmation, and I thought this was a good topic to discuss.

14. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

FYI: I sent a very polite email to the seller and explained why it was a large date - he said it was stated that way when he bought it and that he was told it was the height of the 1 and the 0 that made it a small date. I don't think he is interested in changing it. Everybody makes mistakes and God knows I've made my share - but when it is pointed out to me, I fix it. This is the type of seller that is a problem on eBay - who won't listen to the truth even though he's going on someone else's word and doesn't know it for himself. I guess he doesn't want to realize that he got burned.

15. jody526

jody526 New Member

This is another example of the hazards that await the ill-prepared coin buyer on eBay.

This seller should be put on everyone's "blocked seller" list.

There are just too many honest sellers out there, for anyone to waste their time on scam artists.

16. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

I agree with Jody 100%.

17. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

I sent the seller an e-mail as well, Susan, and he gave me the same response. I replied that I was only trying to avoid a potential dispute once the buyer realizes it is a large date. I also mentioned that several experienced collectors on this forum confirms it was a large date. I guess he would rather believe the dealer who originally ripped him off. :eek:

18. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Frustrating, isn't it? :(

19. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

I sent an email too, politely explaining that this was a large date and that he should change the description to save himself some trouble after the sale.

20. lincoln64

lincoln64 New Member

21. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted