1964 Kennedy Accented Hair

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by commidaddy, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

FWIW, here's my example:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NGC PR 67 CAM

micbraun likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

Great post. Thank you.
    I agree that the Kennedy half is an overlooked series for many interesting die varieties.
    48 years and still going. Maybe they'll do something for the 50th anniversary.

4. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Yes I think there is. I just bought one and ANACS lists it as a

1964 ANACS PF 63 KENNEDY HALF TYPE-1 STRAIGHT-G! ACCENTED HAIR REV! NORMAL OBV...

I just bought a couple... here is some info I just put together on it..

http://www.cointalk.com/threads/acc...al-obverse-listed-as-variety-by-anacs.246860/

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Those statistics are way off of reality. I expect the total to be closer to 6% or around 250,000.

6. Ethan

I would not doubt it but that is the accepted figure.

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

So...............even though you know what you're saying is incorrect (and severely outdated), you're going to stick by the figure?

I remember reading and hearing somewhere that the 1972 Type 2 IKE only had a mintage of 100,000 even tough nobody really knew for sure since the US Mint officially denied that a Type 2 reverse went into the production presses.

Later studies showed that the Type 2 exists with 2 different Obverse dies which in and of itself, significantly raises the mintage figure to more like 300,000. Probably more.

Things and research changes a lot over time.....................

.................but I guess Hype lives on forever.

8. Ethan

Well I have nothing else to go by, do you have anything to support a mintage of 200K? What about 500K? I do know this it is significantly less than 3.5 million.What is the true figure we will never know but I had to start somewhere and people a lot smarter than me came up with that figure. One reason I tend to believe it is the situation and Mrs. Kennedy's involvement in the change, I think it stuck out as being important.

Draft saved Draft deleted