1945 Wheat penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Mareesey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Mareesey

Mareesey Member

[​IMG]

Not sure what is up with the 5. I was thinking maybe it got hit with something though I thought I'd post it anyways.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Yep got hit.
    It's just PMD (post mint damage)

4. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Funny looking, but like Duke said, PMD.

5. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

6. coscaclub

coscaclub New Member

I have found one that looks exactly the same. A clear jagged 5.
    Is this just a coincidence? There are no marks around the five to suggest it was hit or stretched over.

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Coincidence. For sure!

8. CashDude

CashDude Member

It is just rolling machine damage. If the same type of rolling machine hit both coins, the damage would look the same.

9. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

The finger on the wrapping machines is identical for most of them. Of course the position of the numbers in the date is nearly identical too, so it's very likely that there are several of the coins with the same damage. All the factors are equal, so you are going to get like results.

When I first joined the forum, I was sure I had a unique 1941 with a slanted 1. It was very patiently explained to me (after several questions by me about toning, absence of other marks, etc. ad nauseum) how the damage occured. Well, last week while roll searching, I found another 1941 with the same exact damage. The coins are twins. I am away from my place for a bit, but can post some scans of the pair of them when I get back.

gary

10. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

The reason there are no signs of the coin being hit by the wrapping machine finger is that it probably happened when the coin was fairly new and over the years the coin wore to the point that only the major part of the damage is visible.

Richard

11. lisa_finch64

lisa_finch64 New Member

Everyone is mistaken

I can't say for sure, but I hope you still have your 1945 penny, cause believe it or not... I have its twin. The fives are exactly the same. I come across your posting due to my researching on this penny. FYI.... Keep researching!!!

12. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

You can keep researching all you want until you find someone who doesn't have a clue and will tell you what you want to hear, but these are damaged coins. The experts here are not mistaken. The reason so many of these are identical is not coincidence at all. The dates on cents are precisely located in the exact same area on every coin, and the fingers on rolling machines are precisely located at the same distance from the rim of the coin. This means that for every 1945 Cent that has the date hit by a machine finger, it's going to be hit at virtually the same location and direction each and every time. Here's one that I posted awhile back of a moved letter in LIBERTY(these come up here all the time also with the exact same "it can't be coincidence" arguments) and it's an MS coin which means it still shows the evidence.

http://www.cointalk.com/t103236/

13. Christina Gates

Christina Gates New Member

[​IMG]

Not sure what is up with the 5. I was thinking maybe it got hit with something though I thought I'd post it anyways.[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me if the mark behind his head is it a stamped P? Please txt me back at

[Edited]

Christina, we don't post phone numbers and emails here.

~Moderator

PS- I'm not sure what mark you're seeing. There is dark stain. That is all I see behind Lincoln's head here.

14. Purifiedwater

Purifiedwater New Member

Coincidence I have one too

15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Damaged. Not a mint error.

Draft saved Draft deleted