1945 Dos Pesos

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by txguy, Jan 5, 2013.

1. txguy

txguy Active Member

Was wondering what a fair gold price for this coin is? And would you trade silver eagles for it.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

if i remember correctly it is .048 of an ounce of gold so worth 80 bucks right now. i would imagine you could trade with a dealer for 2 silver eagles and perhaps a quarter or something

4. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

80-85 or so, spot is 79.50 but since its a small fractional a bit over that is reasonable.

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Bullion value + 20%

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

This is true but on ebay you will pay $100 to $110 for a 1/20th Dos Pesos Gold Coin. Spot price when buying and ebay prices when selling. :D

7. easj3699

20% premium for a gold coin that in a b&m setting is sometimes hard to get rid of? i have never paid more then a dollar or 3 over melt for one

8. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I would trade silver for that coin if it was me and a fair price for that coin is around 5% over melt imo. At current spot with a 5% premium your looking at gold being around $1740 again before you would even break even on that premium. Most of the 1945 dated 2 pesos, 2.5 pesos are restrikes and really only valued for there bullion value not any numismatic value.

9. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Most retailers sell them for 85-90. If you are paying $100-$110 I think that is crazy and you'd be much better off buying something else that doesn't have such a ridiculous markup.

I just checked Ebay's prices and you are right, they are going for ridiculous amounts on there right now. Ebay buyers aren't always the brightest :eek:

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Here in the border region, the local shops won't take them unless they can file beneath the surface to test due to plated fakes . They are so small that 3 place digital scales are needed to determine if the weight is off. I would pay a higher premium and get a 1/20 AGE myself.

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

You got that right. It's amazing to see some of the prices people pay. Sure some of them live in out of reach areas but most just don't know any better. ;)

12. easj3699

i know other countries produce 1/20 gold coins, ive never heard of a 1/20 gold eagle though

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You are correct. I should have said 1/10, even though that would be twice. :)

14. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted