1909 s v.d.b.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LostDutchman, Sep 28, 2009.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

This guy walked in Today. It's a nice example of the #4 die pair where the S is in line with the 0. It was formerly housed in an old ANACS photograde holder as a 63/65. I wanted to shoot a pair of pics before I resubmitted it to NGC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Hmmmm - something scraped that one up pretty good. Almost like it was drug across the sidewalk or something. Even the rims show it in line with what's on the fields and devices.

Given what it is, I expect they'll slab it anyway. 64 would be my guess. Personally, I'd say 62, 63 at best.

4. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

5. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

I like the coloringon it. Curious what NGC will think of it.

6. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Looks as if the obverse was scraped, possibly leaving its old holder. The rim above GOD seems to be a little weak. There is no dought it will be slabbed, I'll say Obv. MS-62, Rev. MS-64.5 ...
    I know there's no .5 ... Thats my grade...

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I see some rim nicks, a gouge on his shoulder, some weak rims, and not the best coloring I have ever seen. I would guess 64 or at worst 63. Where are these scratches everyone is mentioning. All I see is some wood grain affects.

8. silvermonger

silvermonger Member

I see a $1000 coin.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If you have its twin, I will gladly give you $1000 for it. I assure you LostDutchman will not sell it for that.

10. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

Scratches? Come on. Wonderful coin. Someone criticized my coin (in the exact same way) and I was vulnerable and tried to "fix" it. You know how that story ended.
    The coin will get a 63/64 and has great toning. That coin is more like 2.5 to 3 K I am thinking.

11. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

I agree with Boss. This coin is absolutely stunning, and would have no problem with it in a 64 holder.

12. GDJMSP

Dick I swear, at times I think you're blind. Hopefully you understand I mean that in a friendly way.

Look at the pics I have marked. On the surface of the coin they are very light, but on the rims they are as plain as day and much deeper. As I said, it's almost the coin was dragged across something rough. And on both sides they run in a parallel path.

I'm not knocking the coin. As always, I'm just commenting on what I see.

Attached Files:

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I guess I am blind. I have a new monitor so such things are actually visible now - unlike before. Since then, I have been able to see what you are talking about, but not this time. I see both top rim nicks on the obverse where you say they are, but nothing else. I think I see a piece of a scratch by the "E" (in ONE) on the reverse. That is all. Even you say it may grade 64 - with 4 scratches of note? Really?

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

As much as I would love to disagree with GD on this one, since it is just fun anyway - I have to concur with his opin. That said, 'tis a lovely coin all the whiles and it would look nice in the hoard.

15. grizz

grizz numismatist

.......should slab. if it doesn't first time, keep submitting until it does.

16. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Still a nice 09-S VDB!Dutch:kewl:

17. GDJMSP

The scratches I see on the coin (not the rims) are very, very light. They look like slide marks to me. So yes, I have doubt that the coin will slab.

However, the scratches on the rims are much more severe and way more numerous. It looks just like you took the coin, tipped it up a bit and drug the edge across the sidewalk or a piece of sandpaper. Now if you can't see that, I really don't know what to say.

Tell ya what, I'm gonna crop some of the scratched rim areas and post them side by side with some of the unscratched areas. Maybe then you can see what I see.

18. GDJMSP

OK Dick here ya go. I didn't do a dang thing to these pics other than to crop them and then place in the same field together. I didn't even resize them. And if you can't see a difference then I give up.

Each picture has a scratched area of the rim and an unscratched area of the rim placed side by side.

Attached Files:

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I said that I saw some rim nicks. On your first pics, I see something (and I suspect they are planchet flaws) above the "IB", but you line was through the "S". On the second set, I see 3-5 nicks on the bottom pic while the top is nearly perfect.

20. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Very, very nice coin! I think Doug is putting too much faith in the pictures, I see no scratches either.

This coin will easily go 63/64 IMO.

21. GDJMSP

Did everybody somehow miss the part where I said I figured they'd grade it a 64 and I'd say a 63 myself ? :confused:

The marks I described are there, they are plain to see. The red lines I marked were merely to show the areas of the coin (in between the marks) that have the marks on them. Now you can call them scratches, hairlines or whatever, but they are there.

Draft saved Draft deleted