1903 Proof Barber Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LostDutchman, Dec 28, 2011.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Hey gang!

Here is a cool piece that I bought this afternoon. I thought it was neat and wanted to share.

barberquart1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Very nice proof.. Nice colors on the reverse!!

4. bonbonbelly

bonbonbelly Feel MS68 Look AG3

That is very nice, thanks for sharing it. I have many Barber coins but was never really crazy about the design. Maybe I just need to get one "Primo Example" to change my perspective. The best I have in my collection is a 1913 Quarter in XF. It's a nice looking coin, but it's not very artistic, in my opinion. Feel free to tear me apart now, but not my favorite design! :eek:
    Joe

5. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Very nice coin Matt, way outside my budget! Love the colors on both sides.

6. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Darryl, most of the stuff Matt buys is outside of MY budget!!! LOL

7. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

LOL - Mike, I think that 1 coin would max me out for the year and maybe then some. Figure the price tag is starting around $2250 (maybe more with the toning) and I'd have a lot of explaining to do to the Misses!!!

8. LostDutchman

Ooh Mike I wish that was true... We have to wade through a bunch of "stuff" before we find gems like this coin.

9. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Wow. Pretty quarter! I have its sister from an earlier year, but not as highly graded.
    Lance.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. mikenoodle

Oh, I get it... you have to turn away hundreds of Americana sets, and obsolete coin sets, and bicentennial quarters (LOL) before you get to good stuff like this :) I'm merely jealous.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

12. LionelR

LionelR Supporter! Supporter

Beautiful coin! Thank you for posting it. -L

13. LostDutchman

I have been studying this coin trying to determine that. I think the coin is probably properly graded. The dark line across the face looks like it might be a grease streak... but it's hard to say. I'll probably stay right where it is in the rattler holder tho. I don't think it has aspirations of a cameo or anything.

14. mikenoodle

what's that disturbace on the obverse trim right above the U in trust?

15. LostDutchman

That's part of the rattler holder. It's not damage. There is no rim damage on this coin.

16. Leadfoot

I was thinking 66. I see no hairlines and the coin looks pretty clean. If the coin's fresh to the market, it might be worth a shot -- as you know the price jump is not insignificant. The grease mark certainly could hold it back -- tough to get a feel for the look of that without the coin in-hand.

17. mikenoodle

it looked more like a cud not a ding.

If it's on the holder than I think that the coin is indeed undergraded. Is there a big jump in value to PF-66?

18. Leadfoot

The jump from 5 to 6 is about a grand ($3500->$4500) retail, and likely more like $750 wholesale. IMO, of course. :)

19. LostDutchman

It might be worth me fees to have them look at it.

20. mikenoodle

I'd throw $25 at it to find out.

21. Leadfoot

Yeah, worth a shot -- as long as if they disagree you get the coin in the rattler back. ;)

You coming to FUN? I'd love to see in-hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted