188? cap and ray 8 real

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by enochian, Apr 15, 2014.

1. enochian

enochian silver eater

I believe i got a great deal for not knowing what this was when i baught this along with some other stuff that I had no ideal what was.

The image album has a lot of pictures and. Scans of reverse and obverse. There not the greatest. For some reason i had a hard time imaging the coin.

Im not sure what happened. To the fourth digit. Some pictures make it look like a 6 others look like a 0. Id like to know a grade and value.
    Another site listwd 1880 as a date that should be taken to a dealer.

This coin has nice cart wheel luster

[​IMG]

The prices i seen are all over the place. One site was selling random hand picked dates for $40

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. enochian

enochian silver eater

4. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

The bad news is - there were no silver pesos struck at Guanajuato in the 1880s; see Krause KM#409.1 type, dated only 1898, 1899, and 1900.

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

What about the Federal issues . They made silver 8 reales during the 1880s . But don't have the book to look up Guanajuato .

6. doug444

Let me check. I have 3 books, and only checked Krause.

7. rzage

If the MM for Guanajuato is Go , they were minted in those years by the Federal Gov.

8. doug444

OK, for the Federals, Guanajuato produced the 8 reales from 1826 to 1897, including every year of the 1880's decade; all are worth roughly the same, one or two better overdates like 1884/74. The 1880 is not a premium date. Type KM #377.8.

The OP's date and mint mark look nothing like the illustration, however, although I realize there are a multitude of die varieties. My opinion, it's a cast fake.

9. rzage

Doug , you could be right , as I like the Mexican reales , I'm far from an expert on them . Can you recommend a good reference book on the older Mexican coinage ?

10. rzage

11. doug444

My books are the everyday catalogs of 30 years ago, except for a 2013 Krause. Look for a pricelist from a numismatic bookseller.

rzage likes this.
  12. rzage

Thanks , will do .

13. enochian

enochian silver eater

My scale shows. 26.9. Grams

14. rzage

They're supposed to be 27.070 . So a tad light especially that there's no wear , but close . Any casting bubbles or flues on the rim ?

15. enochian

enochian silver eater

Nope nothing to indicate cast. It looks just like all the others ive seen in pictures. The reeded edge is nice to

rzage likes this.
  16. doug444

OK, that's a good sign. The spindly, crooked letters sort of bother me, especially the mint mark.

17. rzage

Sounds good , glad it's not a cast fake .

18. enochian

enochian silver eater

On the other hand the. Other coin. That i baught along with this one. Which. I thaught. Was a restrike. May be cast. Its a pretty worn 1780 thal. [​IMG]

19. enochian

enochian silver eater

20. enochian

enochian silver eater

rzage likes this.
  21. rzage

The Chinese have been using these since they came out and been faking them just as long .

Draft saved Draft deleted