1865 Quarter Eagle

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by t lafferty, Mar 14, 2014.

1. t lafferty

t lafferty New Member

I have an 1865 gold quarter eagle, VG-8, with small hole drilled top center for necklace, etc. What would be the estimated value? Note: Only 1500 minted 150 yrs ago!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Got a pic? Who graded it?

4. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

1/4 Eagles have 167 dollars worth of gold in them.

Problem free they are worth around $700 to $800.

However since yours is damaged, it would be impossible to place a value on it. If you list it on eBay in auction, it might sell for $200, it might sell for $500.

It IS worth more than scrap, but it's not worth a problem free price.

I would say, depending on the surface conditions, and the size of the hole, around $300-$500.

5. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

6. Detecto92

That one looks like it lost a battle with a wire brush. A coin with perfect surfaces and a small hole is worth more than a coin with damaged surfaces.

7. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

Unfortunately, it is worth melt. You might get lucky and catch a few extra dollars.

8. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

The ebay link is to an 1865 s, the poster said his is an 1865. HUGE difference in price between a Philadelphia mint coin and a San Francisco mint coin.

9. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

edited thought it was an s

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  10. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

With the hole in it your gold piece has become what is called jewelry grade. The best way to sell this coin is add a 14K jump ring to it and offer it for sale as a pendant. Someone will pay about $25.00 to $30.00 over the cost of the jump ring and the melt value of the coin for it as a piece of jewelry.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It certainly does matter if it's a rare date, and 1865-P certainly is. But are you sure that it isn't just an 1865-S with a hole where the mint mark used to be?

12. Detecto92

I've seen damaged coins sell for melt all the time. eBay is full of "bidiots" who might pay a lot more.

Start it for melt plus 13% (Ebay fees). Your not out anything if that's all it sells for.

13. Detecto92

I've seen damaged coins sell for melt all the time. eBay is full of "bidiots" who might pay a lot more.

Start it for melt plus 13% (Ebay fees). Your not out anything if that's all it sells for.

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Find me a holed 1916-D dime for melt.

Heck, find me a holed Trade dollar for melt.

Have you looked up the value on an undamaged 1865-P quarter eagle? Even with a hole, it's going to be worth quite a premium -- again, assuming that it isn't just an 1865-S with the mintmark drilled out.

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Have you handled many of these, Tim? Considering the estimated surviving population is somewhere under 50 IIRC, and in the last 25 or so years of always keeping an eye out I've personally come across two (possibly three), I highly doubt it, but if you or anyone else dismissing the significance of this coin ever finds one, especially in your individual claimed value ranges, be sure to let me know.

If a genuine Philly example, those rejecting as being nothing more than melt material are doing the OP a disservice. Damaged, holed, or whatever this is a very tough and historically significant date with very few surviving examples; each and every one is a treasure. If the OP's coin is indeed the real deal, he has something very special and should be proud to own it.

If possible, I would very much like to see photos, sir.

mill rat41, fiddlehead and Mainebill like this.
  16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Show us pics!! Especially where the hole is if it's a pliladelphia minted 1865 is probably worth at least 8-1200 even with a hole. would be more then double without in vg 8 problem free I'd estimate 3-5k would be very desirable even damaged if it's a 1865-s it's worth melt

17. Mainebill

According to my greysheet a problem free 1865 starts at $3k a 1865-s at $285

18. Detecto92

Miss spoke, meant to say I've seen damaged coins sell for more than melt.

19. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

How can anyone do the OP a disservice if there is absolutely no trace of a mint mark remaining? Until large clear images are posted we will never know.

Are there are very distinct diagnostics that can differentiate an 1865 from an 1865-S if the hole in the area where the mint mark is located is large enough in diameter to make it impossible to determine if there ever was or was not an S? If it is, then no one can honestly say without any doubt it is a Philadelphia issue.

20. Mainebill

There are likely diagnostic die marks that differentiate the two. Otherwise people could just remove the mintmark and try to pass it it's been done many times and especially on early coins there's subtle differences not being an expert on gold coin die varietys I'm not sure what they are but I'm sure there's someone that can tell

21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

By condemning the coin to a having a value based upon melt with out proof, and seemingly (in a few cases) knowledge of the significance of this issue is, in fact, a disservice. If the OP can provide photos, an honest assessment (to the best of our abilities) can be done, but until then, we should give this gentlemen a fair chance to prove his claim without giving questionable info that could cause harm.

Just as I cannot yet say the coin in fact is a Philly specimen, you cannot definitively say that it is anything but.

fiddlehead and Burnside_Q like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted