1806 Draped Bust half- bad pictures....

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by BigTee44, Mar 25, 2014.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

What do you think this would grade? Im trying to get better pics.

Is it worth what the 2x2 says?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BigTee44

I know it's hard to see from the pictures but the E Pluribus Unum on the reverse is full. I haven't seen this coin in almost a year so I can't remember all the details of it. I seen it at a coin show and talked to the dealer about it and he told me he had it for 2 years.

We had a coin show this past weekend and I went in to buy this coin and when I went to his booth, he said he didn't bring any of his high dollar coins because no one buys them. So I asked for his number and asked him to shoot me a few pictures of it. He has an old school flip phone and this is the best I can get. It's going to be a 2 hour round trip to get the coin, so I just want to make sure it's going to be worth it.

He said the obverse is a VF and the reverse is more of a XF.....

Any opinions? It looks original and I'd love to add one of these coins to my collection.

4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I have a similar 1806 bust half I sent it off to pcgs they called it vf -30 it's their plate coin for the date and grade is very similar from what I can tell from the pics this one looks possibly nicer it looks like a clean problem free one too well worth the money

5. Mainebill

image.jpg This is mine for comparison purposes mine is a pointed 6 but has similar hair details is hard to tell yours from the pics but it looks nice

6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

From the pics both the eagle and the shield look pretty blurry for an XF... and why does it say VF20 on the 2x2 holder when the rev is 'more of an' XF?

7. Mainebill

My guess from the bad pics is its likely vf 25-30 so still a good buy for low vf dough pcgs price on vf 30 is 1300 and just saw one in 35 for sale on ha for 1350+ premium

BigTee44 likes this.
  8. BigTee44

That's what he said. He said the back is closer to a XF, but looking at the PCGS grading guide, the reverse can have a full shield at VF20.

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I think we agree, it seems to be a nice VF coin with an original color, but it's not close to an XF. Bill's coin is an excellent comparison.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The images make it tough to grade. I'm at 15 or 20. When you check it in person, be sure there is no damage.

11. Mainebill

One more thing to take into consideration on bust coins is their often irregularly struck and one part or side will often have more detail than the other as far as the tpgs go they usually grade them by the weaker side so if the obverse is xf and the reverse is vf your gonna get a vf grade usually

12. BigTee44

Updated pics.

Picked it up this morning for $550

What do you think it grades now?

image.jpg image.jpg

micbraun likes this.
  13. Mainebill

Vf 25 a nice coin for a fair price I'd have bought it at that

14. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Looks great, congrats! Eagle, shield & feathers are better than I would have expected from the first pics...

15. BigTee44

I couldn't remember exactly what it looked like but I remember it was nice. I'm very happy with this pick up!

So now I just gotta send it in to get graded somewhere.

16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I also think you did very well, I bought an 1807 XF last year spending way more than I usually would for a coin... let us know what the TPG says.

Draft saved Draft deleted