1797 Draped Bust Large Cent Sheldon 138

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LostDutchman, Feb 11, 2010.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Hey gang!

I picked this dude up a few days ago. I owned this coin quite some time ago and sold it to a customer. He had some financial issues and had to sell it back. I was more then happy to see it back in the shop. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

oooh la la, such smooth sweet lines

4. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Wow, that's a beauty, sure makes my S-130 look bad :D That could be a plate coin.

5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Very sweet coin! Gotta love them puppies in this shape.

6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Very nice!
    Sheldon -138. R-1. Your specimen shows the bulging at "ES OF" described by Breen.

A beautiful coin. What color is it in-hand? seems somewhat light from the photo.

Eduard

7. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

thats the best looking worn draped bust ive seen.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

wow, ship it here.

9. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

It's a nice "dark chocolate" coin in hand. I'm trying out a new lighting method for my photography. While it captures the details of the coin much better then my old method it does make the coin seem lighter then it really is. I guess it's an even trade.

10. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

a bit of wear, but practically no marks! Very nice!

11. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

Wow, would that ever look nice in my 7070. It is so clean, it almost looks fake. Is there remaining luster? I can't make any out in the picture.

12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Both the coin and the photo are outstanding.

13. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Magnificent !

14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Now THIS is how an amateur does it: Notice the LACK of detail in both the coin AND the photography. This is really one I'd like well photographed. Can anyone tell from the photo's why?

ps How do you get the photos so large?

Attached Files:

15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Just want to see this coin again!

16. mark_h

Nope. Not without trying to attribute it and would prefer larger photos.

You are using attachments. You can do it with attachments, but I prefer using something like photobucket. Then I just imbed the link - normally I use the thumbnails, but on occasion I use the full size pictures.

17. ERROR HUNTER

ERROR HUNTER Coins,Stamps

Most i've seen are all worn.

18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

You actually have my reason in your answer. I have what I think has to be a rare variety, but if others can't come to the same conclusion using my pictures, then I need better pictures or at least good enough to give others the ability to tell me where I went wrong.

Lostdutchman's photos are better than direct observation when your eyes start to go.

19. mark_h

Which variety do you think you have?

Plus with this site if you do not get the picture below 250k the software resizes it. Are the photos on your computer are the same size as the attachments ? If not try setting up a photobucket account and try imbedding the link.

20. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm pretty sure I have the S-133 with the perfect B. The J reverse is fairly easy to see; though the Berry at E seems a little low, and the obverse choices 9 doesn't show the break behind the hair ribbon and the date doesn't seem right for 10. Though it is weak, I think I see the top of a finished B and the right date spacing for the 17.

I'm extremely new to the photography and just started collecting photos, so I'm unsure when I'm looking at the actual photos or 'thumbnails' in the gallery of my windows program.

I started out using 2 meg pictures and they were worse than the ~50K photos on the auction sites, so I lowered the pixels and tried to concentrate on the focus. Improvement is VERY slow, but at least you can tell it's a coin now.

21. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

Wow, gorgeous planchette! No pitting or signs of corrosion whatsoever. That's hard to find with draped bust large cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted