Your Favorite Bullion Coin

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by tmoneyeagles, Mar 12, 2009.

1. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

What are your favorites...

Koalas, ASE's, and my favorites, even though I don't have any, Reverse Proof AGE's and ASE's

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HardMoney

HardMoney New Member

Pandas (aside from the politics)
    Kookaburras

4. Argento

Argento Perplexed

5. tmoneyeagles

WHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO-EEEEEEEEEEE! That is a nice silver eagle!

6. John the Jute

John the Jute Collector of Sovereigns

The purist answer:

My favourite bullion coin is whichever is cheapest at the time of purchase. In the UK, where silver attracts purchase tax, these are usually krugerrands, Austrian 100 corona pieces and Mexican 50 peso pieces. In the US, I understand, the same three are good value as are junk silver and silver rounds.

It is possible to remain reasonably purist and buy coins which have a reasonable hope of being more valuable on resale. In the UK, this means bullion grade, early 20th century sovereigns; in the US, I understand, this means US gold eagles.

In the UK, gold bars are harder to sell than gold coins. In the US, I understand there is a more active market, so a truly purist US bullion investor might not want coins at all.

The aesthetic answer:

Krugerrands, though good value and honestly made, are not pretty. Canadian Maples and Austrian Philharmonikers are more attractive but don't move me. I rather like both US Eagles and UK Britannias--quite as much as I like Chinese Pandas. And the 2009 US Double Eagle does look as though it will be most attractive.

But the bullion coins I find the most pleasure in owning are the Australian Kangaroos and Kookaburras. The 2oz sizes of these are particularly striking.

Later,

John

7. tmoneyeagles

The koalas are the EASIEST set to complete and continue collecting, First Year Of Issue, 2007! :)

8. tmoneyeagles

And no proof, so just 3 coins! :)

9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Definately the American silver and gold Eagles .
    rzage

10. covert coins

covert coins Coin Hoarder

I just recently changed. The Mexican onzas's that Blue Angel posted this last week are in my top two. They are in my opinion awesome. Also I really like ASE's.

11. tmoneyeagles

I think we all LOVE the ASE's... LOL

But a very beautiful coin!

12. John the Jute

John the Jute Collector of Sovereigns

Sorry, T, but there are many more than 3 Koalas.

You're quite right of course that there are only 3 SILVER Koalas, and you could establish and maintain a complete collection of these quite inexpensively.

But, if you wanted to have ALL the Koalas, you would need the platinum Koalas as well, which were minted from 1989 to 1999 in uncirculated grade and from 1988 to 2005 in proof grade.

That would NOT be inexpensive. :eek:

Later,

John

13. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

I like IKE's, MORGANS, the revere of Sacajewea, and KOOKABURRAS.
    Okay Ruben lets see and hear your favorites.

14. tmoneyeagles

Oh, no, I know there are platinum and gold koalas!

15. Blue Angel

Blue Angel Senior Member

check your pm's sir.....

Yep....gotta agree....the Libertads are as beautiful as the ASE so I buy both....

16. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I like the proof silver eagles.

17. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Buffalos aren't bad either. The stoic Indian is a masterpiece and tells a whole long story when you examine him. Yes, I have quite a few.

18. tmoneyeagles

We prefer to be called Native Americans... JUST JOKING, indian is fine with me.

lol

I love the buffalos!

19. AshcraftCoin

AshcraftCoin Member

Native American Head just doesn't have the same ring to it. :)

Besides, anyone born in the US is a "native American" if you want to get technical.

Regards,
    Michael

PS I have at least 1/32 Cherokee blood so I am allowed to make these statements. IMO :D

20. tmoneyeagles

Technically.. Yes... Because they are natives.. This was our land first, dang white men! lol (Funny because I'm 95% White)
    I'm a native american and I take heavy pride in it! Everyone here is an immigrant, except for the true blue native americans! lol

21. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I think the Native Americans came over on a land bridge from Asia.

Draft saved Draft deleted