Featured Exhibit: Jefferson (War) Nickel - 1942-S - May 2008 - Lehigh96

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This coin is a 1942-S NGC MS67 Jefferson War Nickel and is part of my NGC registry set of rainbow toned war nickels. This coin has iridescent toning on the obverse. The toning is beautiful violet and emerald green and is supported by pristine surfaces and silky luster. The problem is that iridescent toning only appears when the coin is tilted under a light source. If the coin is photographed directly, the toning will not appear in the photo. As I stated, the purpose of this photo was for presentation of my registry set, so I needed the quality of the photo to be outstanding in order to truly represent the actual appearance of the coin. The reverse provided a whole new challenge. Minor coinage is very difficult to photograph showing full detail due to the relative size of the coin. Jefferson Nickel reverses are usually not well struck and I needed to ensure that I captured both the toning and the outstanding detail present in Monticello on this coin. This coin is an MS67 and taking photos that make the viewer believe they are seeing an MS67 is easier said than done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took this photo on May 5th, 2008 using a Canon Powershot SD870IS Digital ELPH 8.0 megapixel camera. I used two overhead OTT lights with my kitchen light (flourescent) as background lighting. I did not use a copy stand and took the photos holding the camera in my hand.

I placed the coin on a white paper towel on the kitchen counter and positioned the lighting so that it did not appear directly on the coin, rather it hit the slab when viewed through the camera. I then moved the camera around through trial and error until the toning appeared in the camera view. Once the toning was visible, I snapped the photo and reviewed. If the photo did not provide and actual representation of the coin's appearance or was blurry, I repeated the process until I was satisfied with the result. Not the most calculating method of photography, but effective in the long run. I believe I took over ten photos until I achieved the final result.

Here is the original photo of the coin in the slab before the photograph was edited and cropped.

[​IMG]

Once the slabbed coin photo was obtained, I used the Adobe photoshop and the method that I described in this earlier Cointalk thread to achieve the final result.

http://www.cointalk.org/showthread.php?t=41839&p=432904

The Jefferson Nickel is one of my favorite United States coins. It depicts a very flattering representation of our 3rd President, Thomas Jefferson on the obverse and the reverse shows Monticello which was Jefferson's house that he designed himself and is located in Virginia. The war nickel is a fantastic piece of history that yielded one of the most valuable numismatic treasures of the 20th century coinage. Due to the need for nickel in war applications, the mint changed the alloy of the Jefferson Nickel to it's war time composition of copper (56%), silver (35%), and manganese (9%). In addition, a large mint mark was added above Monticello on the reverse to designate the coins of this composition. The result was a stunning version of the Jefferson nickel that exhibits booming luster with shining silver surfaces. It also, due to the silver content, created beautifully toned examples that are just incomparable to the nickels made of the original composition.

The tendency of this alloy to tone is what originally attracted me to the Jefferson war nickel and sparked my interest in creating the finest rainbow toned registry set of war nickels ever assembled. Because of their relative affordability, I was able to assemble a stunning set of toned war nickels. Each is deserving of a photo that will display the coin's beauty. Although this 1942-S in only one coin of 9 in my set, it is the best photographic example of the group. Here is a photo of my set in progress.

[​IMG]

This coin stands out in the set in terms of photographic quality and is a coin that has earned permanent residence in my set. I will never attempt to upgrade this coin even though NGC decided that it was not deserving of the star designation. I consider this photograph to be the best I have ever taken of a coin.

Thanks for your consideration and I hope you found this post entertaining and informative.

Paul--Lehigh96

CoinJockey73 and JBGood like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Paul - great photo and a great looking coin. I think that capturing toning properly is one of the hardest aspects of coin photography I have encountered. I have taken thousands of macro shots with different good digital cameras and with different lighting and I am never satisfied with the results I get when shooting a toned coin. You have perfected it and I am always impressed with you shots. I don't care if others like toning or not - try to shoot a toned coin and see how hard it is. Very Well Done!

Darryl

4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

You win! [​IMG]

LOL! Seriously, awesome, awesome shots. To get these shots with a basic point and shoot is a feat in itself. Then it's a hard coin to take a picture of on top of it. Also, great write-up. (Edit: This is so good, I feel like it should be made a sticky somewhere!)

I didn't know war nickels were your favorite coins to collect. I was just looking at some today and reading about them. One thing I read, that I found interesting was that the "P" mint mark was used for the first time on any U.S. coinage, on these nickels. I guess I should have known that already but I never thought about it.

I see the Jefferson nickels as a whole, being appreciated much more down the road, than they are right now.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Hey ! I think I see wear in the hair there on the obverse :whistle:

:D

6. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Beautifull Jefferson. All of my war nickels have that ugly blackish toning that seems to be on all circulated War nickels.

7. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

That is a terrific example of what this contest is all about!! Wonder Artwork with a terrific and extensive write up. The great description of the photograhy technique is supurb and the tehnical specifications are given in such a way at too subtly show deep emotional passion about the subject. the toning of this nickel is quite nice and accents the coins visual appeal and your photography shows the coin in a facinating and lovely way, creating a completely whole compisition.

Well done.

And no, you haven't won yet ;)

Ruben

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Paul

Do I see doubling in the lettering on the reverse bottom?

Ruben

10. Lehigh96

Ruben,

Doubling of lettering is really not my area of expertise. In fact, I really don't know anything about DDO, DDR, machine double, RPM's or anything else. I would be a terrible cherrypicker.

It does appear to be doubled in the word STATES but I also take the photo at a slight angle which could cause that. I will have to dig this coin out and take a more closeup photo of the reverse so you guys can get a better lookt at it.

Paul

PS. Win or lose no matter. I enjoyed creating this post and your idea for this contest was fantastic. I hope everyone gives it a shot.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Great post Paul. Another winner I am sure....:smile

12. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

Great post! The reason I first came to this site was to figure out how the cheaply take photos of my coins (Key word cheaply) decent affordable digital cameras where fairly new at the time. I think my photos have improved greatly but you put me to shame.
    I drool everytime I see your Jefferson toners. If you haven't figured it out yet the Jefferson Nickel is my favorite series also. LOL.

13. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Some really good photos of coins there. Possibly good for a poster or framed picture.
    Myself, I seldom take photos of coins and Jefferson not one of my favorite coin. However, if I had those I think I'd take that series a little more seriously.

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I'm sort of reviewing all the entries and this was really a wonder photo. I can't see how you can hold the Camera by hand that steady.

Ruben

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Tied 8th place finished exhibit: Tied 5th place Qualified Exhibit

Exhibit: Jefferson (War) Nickel - 1942-S - May 2008 - Lehigh96 http://www.cointalk.com/forum/t44613/

Code:

Asth  Edu    Nui   FS       Tot             Grand Total
    9 	8 	9 	0 	26 		125

8 	9 	9 	0 	26 	

10 	8 	8 	0 	26 	

8 	 8 	7 	0 	23 	

8 	8 	8 	0 	24 	

16. Lehigh96

Hey Ruben,

Thanks for the contest which IMO was a huge success. So many interesting and creative entries. Glad to be a part of it.

I took some new photos with my new lighting set up and using a copy stand. I like the new reverse better because even though it is a little darker, it shows the extreme luster of this coin better. The obverse photo can't be eclipsed however. I still consider it the best coin photo I have ever taken.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Either way, I have no idea how NGC could not give this coin the star designation. Here is a photo of a 1942-S with a star from another registry users collection. Unbelievable! I suppose this coin could be close to a PL designation, hence the star, but no way it deserves a star and mine doesn't.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:D

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Very nice Photo's. You should make Photography a side line.

Ruben

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Great collection & post, Lehigh!

19. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Great pics , better than the ones on Heratige . IMO
    Rusty

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Nice Nice Nickels

21. Lehigh96

That reminds me, I have an updated photo of this coin.

[​IMG]

:smile

Draft saved Draft deleted