Exhibit: Bust Half - 1823 - Nov of 06 - ldhair

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ldhair, Dec 6, 2008.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Exhibit: Bust Half - 1823 - Nov of 06 - ldhair

The 1823 sure had a lot of varieties. After a lot of looking at old auctions, I think this might be the O-104.
    Please correct me as I’m probably wrong.[​IMG] The look of the date made me first think it was the O-111, but the reverse was wrong. I posted a couple of images at the bottom, of the dates from my coin and an O-111.
    They look so much alike it confuses me.

This is also a great example of machine doubling. Many years ago Coin World imaged this coin for an article on the subject. I don’t think it was ever published.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the date images that confuse me. The first is my coin and the second is the O-111. Note the weak spot in the 8, the 2, and the 3 look the same on both coins. That made me think it was the same die but the dentils don’t line up the same to the date. It is the O-104 after more work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All these images were from me learning a new Canon SLR with the Sigma 150 macro.
    They came off the camera at about 1900X and saved as jpgs. The only edit was a quick crop that was saved as a new image. That way I still had the original for future use. They were loaded to Photobucket at the sizes in this post.

I did this one in a rush but I'll get something better up in a few days
    Larry

Penny Luster and cplradar like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I can't help you out on variety, but that is a darn nice coin IMO!! :thumb: Beautiful. :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

4. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

ld, The O-111 used Die #9 on the obv. and Die J on the reverse. The O-104 used Die #3 on the obv. and Die D on the reverse.

I think the above coin of yours is the O-104. with doubling on the profile.

You can double check it at: http://coinzip.proboards79.com/index.cgi?board=1823b&action=display&thread=1619 Take a look at Ed's coin. I dont know what to say about the date however. Ask Ed or a few others over at coinzip and I am sure you will get a positive attribution.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

So this coin may have inspired the term "double chin"! :D

Very nice.

6. $incere

$incere New Member

nice doubling

7. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

That this really unusual! can you give some detail to the asthetics to this coin that you've observed, and is there a variety to this coin which is worth adding to its exhibition.

Ruben

8. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well with my overton books the stars line up as I expect for O-104. Plus if you look maybe 1/2 to 1 mm to the left in the picture(about middle of dentil) of the star I think I see the crack for the 104. So I agree - nice coin and it is an O-104.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There were so many varieties of the 1823 that could be added but I don't own the images. I'll work up something better.

10. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

In 1823 there were and estimated 1,694,200 Bust Half Dollars Minted

11 Obverse Dies & 12 Reverse Dies were used to produced 13 different Die Marriages.

The coin you have posted is an O-104 R3 if you look close at star 7 I bet you will find a die crack. I'll post a photo that should help explain things. The red arrows point out the Die Crack.

BTW, fantastic double profile :thumb:

[​IMG]

11. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Def a 104, as the I-T relationship is the only one of the specimens lined up like that. I'd love to see closeups of the 7 star and the shield on the reverse for confirmation.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

These probably won't help much. They are just a crop from the original images. Looks like I should have polished the plastic a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cplradar likes this.
  13. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Nice tip and this was a wonderful coin

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

15. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

That's some extreme machine doubling 0n the first '23 , great example .
    rzage

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Is that Machine Doubling? It is very cool.

Ruben

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

That is about as striking of a machine doubled coin as I've ever seen. My first thought was that it was like some of the large cents of this era in which the profile is actually doubled -- it is that striking.

Cool coin & post! Thanks for sharing...Mike

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Now Ruben, this is just not right. I worked really, really hard to earn last place but didn't get it. I even used paid for software and still didn't get it. I'm thinking this deal was rigged.:D

All that aside, it was a great idea for a thread.:thumb: Thanks for all the hard work. I bet it turned out to be more than you thought.

Cheech9712 and cplradar like this.
  19. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Thanks for the kind words. I actually thought it out rather thoroughly and knew I was in for a lot of work. I've done things like this before. I wanted to give something back to coin talk. I don't have much money, but I have experience at building and organizing on line groups into projects with volunteers :) You guys all came to the table with your expertise and made this place shine! I'd like to see those idiot archaeologist in Germany look over all our beautiful exhibits and tell us we are nothin' but coin foundlers!

Hoya! We covered nearly 2500 years of history, art, technology, social commentary, and we proved that we make a worthy contribution to our humankinds understanding of itself and the world.

Your exhibit was absolutely the tops!

Ruben

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

21. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Not much of a "Double" but a Cleft Chin for sure!:D

Draft saved Draft deleted