Bicentenial Proof Set, why arent these worth more?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kay67, May 18, 2024.

1. Kay67

Kay67 Member

I have a Proof Silver set with the proper paperwork, and it's only worth about $35 or so. But I see the same coins sold single for thousands. I don't understand the difference.

Can someone please help me with this, I can't find an answer anywhere.

Attached Files:

Mimi J likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Where are you seeing the thousand dollar single ones?

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

You may be seeing what people are trying to sell them for. There is a big difference between that and what they are actually selling for.

rte likes this.
  5. Kay67

Kay67 Member

On Youtube, people are buying single silver Bicentenial coins for thousands. I don't get it why my set doesn't fetch the same. I can't find an answer anywhere.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Go ask the YouTube video maker and report back your findings.

Kay67 likes this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Check sold listings on auction platforms such as ebay and heritage to come up with a ball park figure as to how much they're selling for. Youtube is not the place to confirm selling prices. Too many yo-ho's........

SensibleSal66 and Kay67 like this.
  8. Dima

Dima Member

The only thing I could potentially see hitting those high prices are PCGS/NGC graded PR70 Ike dollars -- those tend to be a bit rarer. However, the commemorative quarter and half, either clad or silver, even in PR70 aren't that crazy expensive.

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Hi Kay….. In the numismatic world there are a number of variables that can add value to a coin that would otherwise appear similar to another face value coin that someone who doesn’t study coins would never understand…… The one thing I can tell you is that the Bicentennial coins were a big deal at the time. The US mint had not changed any designs for quite some time so when they came up with the bicentennial coins, they were minted quite a lot of them…. So for the most part, while interesting they are quite common……. The other thing too is that often people will try to auction common coins like this for sky high figures and that leads others to believe they have more value when they really don’t.

Dynoking, Kay67, Dima and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted