1976 d bicentennial quarter weight error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jarksmyworld, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

Hello everyone. I have a 1976 d bicentennial quarter and it weighs 5.417g and the rim is much thinner then my other ones that I have. That last screen shot is from boards.ngc.com and he states "that if this quarter weighs less then 5.44g then that would be something to investigate".
    As you can see in my pics there's no major pmd damage from the enviroment/elements or acid dipped etc
    And this coin is definitely under 5.44g
    I found that there are bicentennial quarters struck on nickel planchet and the weight of my quarter would be within the weight except I am not missing any areas of the design that should be missing I believe if it was struck on a nickel planchet.
    Your thoughts, opinions and input is greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The message from the other forum is just someone's opinion. That doesn't necessarily mean it's totally true.

Your quarter is within weight tolerance and definitely not struck on a nickel planchet.
    Nickels do not have a copper core sandwiched between the Cupronickel clad layers as seen on your quarter.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

The accuracy of your scale also has a tolerance which may put the weight within range. One must factor in minute weight loss from circulation wear as well.

Z

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The Kubei device comes with a small accurate calibration weight of exacting 10grams and the instructions explain how to calibrate the scale . Until that is done, the weight shown on the scale can be way off due to shipping, etc. If you really like that balance, you can buy other calibration weights . If you turn on the scale and weight shown is exactly that of the calibration weight, thats ready to go. If not, then it needs to go through the calibration process as in the manual. Jim

7. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

Thank you guys for all your responses I truly appreciate your experience and input
    I am definitely learning alot what I think is possibly a error or variety and it's not even close. I still have a lot to learn.

lordmarcovan and Kentucky like this.
  8. carat_farmer

carat_farmer New Member

You have to remember that the US Mint isn't required statutorily to check the weight of every single coin. So it's completely possible for out-of-tolerance coins to be in circulation, especially given how many coins are minted every year.

I can't seem to find any official US Mint documentation on what their expected error rate is, but I bet someone has done the math after sampling and measuring some currency. If not it would be a neat project.

31 USC 5113: Tolerances and Testing of Coins explains that the mint must measure a subset of each Group of coins minted, and what decisions to make based on those measures.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Here you go Carat.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted