1972 IKE Dollar question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ldhair, May 5, 2024.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

1972 IKE dollar, no mint mark. Variety 3.
    They should be Copper-Nickel Clad.
    What would cause the copper layer to not show on the edge of the coin?
    Have any of these been found in silver clad?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Weight should also tell the story.
    40% 24.60g
    Clad 22.70g

Mr.Q and Spark1951 like this.
  5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime?

There weren't supposed to be silver-clad blanks in Philadelphia, the silver coins were only struck in San Francisco. There are other coins known where the copper core is less visible, maybe due to dull cutters on the blanking press causing more "tearing" that folds the outer layer over.

But I agree the weight will be definative.

ldhair likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Many clad coins have been "coated" in silver, platinum, gold...

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I didn't think of it that way, there for a while didn't Philly do all the work, the prep for Denver and San Fran?
    I know they made the dies.
    If San Fran was punching the planchets, then I completely agree that there shouldn't have been a left over planchet stuck in the hopper.

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime?

https://www.ikegroup.info/?page_id=840

Read the paragraph "The New Die Steel: Building a Case"

Given the mint was testing a new die steel in 1972, logic says they would have tested both Silver Clad and Copper-Nickel Clad. Which would have led to some silver-clad planchets existing in Philly.

What does it weigh?

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Photos do wonders to assist us in helping you. I’m thinking the coin was coated in another metal.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

This is far more common than most people think. And Burton is right, it occurs when the planchets are punched out of the strip. In simple terms the clad layer is pushed/stretched down over the copper core center covering it up, some completely covered, others only partially. It is often on all denominations of clad coins.

In the case of dollars, and sometimes halves, there is a chance of a 40% planchet that has no copper visible on the edge. But as stated, weight will answer if that is the case.

Cheech9712 and Kentucky like this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That sounds very possible. More likely than being struck on silver clad. I let my scale be for too long and the batteries leaked. I'll get the weight. Can't take proper images for a while.
    If none of these have been found in silver clad, that's probably not the answer.

Thanks everyone for the great information. I'll let you know what I figure out.

Draft saved Draft deleted