World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

And some of the US stuff. I sold my Morgan and Peace dollars and presently do not own any of those except in my giveaway material.

IMG_8665.jpeg IMG_8666.jpeg IMG_8667.jpeg IMG_8668.jpeg IMG_8669.jpeg

wcg, chlorinated, ZoidMeister and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Perhaps another? Opposite side of the globe of course, and descent of Spanish conquest rather than English.

Z

IMG_1771.JPG IMG_1772.JPG

4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

A couple millimeters short of a crown.

Z

IMG_1769.JPG IMG_1770.JPG

5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

6. That is a lovely Zeeland ducat. The thin white ring around the coin, is it graded or just white background that remain from cropping the image? Kind of looks like the coin is in a PCGS slab.

messydesk and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

It's in a PCGS slab. That's the gasket that's not cropped out.

8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

9. I don't know about "hadta"; more like "wantedta". Hahaha. This particular coin has been on my wish list for quite a while. I wasn't really expecting to win to be honest... my bid was kind of a lowball.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

1638 Metz taler. Obv: St. Stephen Rev: Metz coat of arms. Amongst the final coinage of Metz before both city and bishopric lost minting rights in Peace of Westphalia at conclusion of Thirty Year War in 1648.
    1638-Metz-taler-both-1500dpi.jpg

Chris B, Zohar444, PaddyB and 2 others like this.
  11. Good to see you again wcg - has been a while. A very interesting taler - looks rather incredible for a coin that's pushing 400 years old :)

A couple of new additions to my collection. The double rupie is especially a rather cool coin I've hunted for a good bit.

2 Rup Obv.jpg 2 Rup Rev.jpg 1833 Obv.jpg 1833 Rev.jpg

12. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

A couple of new additions:

Ita161002.jpg

ITALY, Toscana (Grand Duchy). Cosimo II de Medici. 1609-1621. AR Piastro d’argento

Diamteter: 41mm
    Weight: 31.60 g

Firenze mint. Dated 1610.

Obverse: Armored bust right, wearing ruff

Reverse: St. John standing left, holding long cross and baptizing Jesus standing right in the River Jordan, both wearing nimbus crowns; above, dove flying right, head lowered left. MIR 259/2; Davenport 4190 = KM 4190. Toned, once polished, marks and scratches, edge scratches, mount marks. Near VF.

From the St. George Collection.

Ita175302.jpg

ITALY, Lucca. Republic. 1169-1805. AR Scudo Dated 1753.

Diameter: 39mm
    Weight: 26.01 g

Obverse: Crowned coat-of-arms with leonine supporters

Reverse: St. Martin on horseback left, looking back toward beggar standing left. Bellesia 71; MIR 237/13; Davenport 1375; KM 62. Toned, a few faint hairlines, minor flan flaws. EF.

From the Alexander Christopher Collection.

13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Those are great. The Tuscany piastro especially. Love Cosimo’s ruffed collar, there. Imagine having to wear one of those silly things to be fashionable. And here I thought the modern necktie was absurd!

ZoidMeister and Chris B like this.
  14. Mister T

Mister T Active Member

I don't collect crowns specifically but I got a 1959 Bermuda crown recently - I didn't realise they they ever produced a crown, let alone two, but the 1964 is a little smaller than the expected 38mm.

Draft saved Draft deleted