World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

Here's something that's not encountered very often-- A toned Japanese Tempo Ichibu-gin (1837- 1854)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Cool. My father was born in 1953. ;)

4. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Picked this up in the Heritage World Coin auction that ended tonight. I will take some of my own pics when I get it in hand.

1950_50F_Monaco_PF64_Essai_Silver_KM-E31.jpg

5. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

GB 1929 Maundy

Beautiful coins all!! I like your 1960 5 francs alot Cucumbor, always liked that design, I have a few from the early 1900s, but all 1 Franc and 50 Centimes, nothing larger.

jello : Awesome coronation crown!!! Is that the Silver Proof? or regular Proof? I have wanted a Silver proof of that coin for many a year, I have the Unc original copper-nickel one, and I really like the design, and it looks great as a proof.

Very nice toning on that sower Barry, I like it alot.
    Collector1966: I love those Japanese 19th century rectangular coins, and hope to get some of the Silver and Gold ones for my collection one day......

----------------------
    Here is one of my newest aquisitions.... a British 1929 Maundy 2d. I got it for $12.50 at my local coin shop's 'weekly auction' quite a good price I think. I don't have any Maundy coins later than the 1870's so, I figured I could use a more modern one....mintage of just 1,862.... somewhat low, even for Maundy coins which always have low mintages, most under 10,000.
    ----------------------

I have quite a few others that I purchased since my last post, including a very nice EF+ Canada 1920 small cent, and a 1901 Belgium 10 Centimes, some Indian States stuff from the late 1800s and early 20th century, as well as a very nice VF Canada 1882 H Large Cent.... no pics of these yet though, so here are some of the Maundy 2d coin next to a US 25 cent piece.

6. petro89

petro89 Member

Belgium...1958 50 Francs. .8350 Silver.

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

7. petro89

petro89 Member

Canada Dollar 1939.

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice canada doller, those things always tone nicely. I have several.

9. GypsyTears

GypsyTears Mammy 2 shoes

Bought this Leo from the recent Heritage auction. leo.jpg leo2.jpg

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Still would love a Leo Taler but the ancients continue to bite my wallet instead.

One day though...great coin GT.

11. GypsyTears

GypsyTears Mammy 2 shoes

Thanks Mat it is my first graded Leo thaler.

12. Collector1966

Attached Files:

13. petro89

petro89 Member

I like yours too! Mine is nice...AU details, but it has a lot of rim dings. Still...I got it for a few bucks over melt ($29 I believe) so I think it was a good buy. I have a few dozen Candaian dollars. For some reason the nicest ones seem to always be the 1935 and the commemoratives from 1939 and 1949. Wish I had a '48 though :)

14. Collector1966

$29 seems like a good deal for your coin, even if it has a couple of small "dings".

The only Canadian dollar I have from the pre-Elizabeth II era is the one I just posted. I wanted to get some others when I was up in Canada, but for various reasons I didn't. I was able to get about a roll of mixed dollars like these, though, and I love the designs. The 1967 Canada goose is the first Canadian dollar I became familiar with, largely because of the hype that the "diving goose" variety was receiving in coin publications in 1967-68.

Attached Files:

15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Really? Thought you had others...or were they raw? I know you have several of him. I just have a few Kreuzers of him.

16. petro89

petro89 Member

Here's another one for you! 1966. The reverse is blast white.

IMG_0263.jpg

17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Very nice!!!!Collector 1966:thumb:
    I grew-up in the Catskill New York area. we often had folks from Canada pay with Canadian dollars but back then 1950-60 for each Canadian $1.00 the had to add 20 cents to equal a US dollar. [​IMG]
    there even was sign that said each Canadian dollar was equal to 80.cent US $1.00
    :kewl:

18. Collector1966

I would bet that either that coin was the end coin of a bank roll, or it was stuck in a Whitman folder for years.

19. petro89

petro89 Member

Yeah I think probably a folder but it could have been an EOR. I tried another pic and this one looks a little closer. It is not as dark in hand as the first picture, and it has more of a greenish tint to it.

IMG_0264.jpg

20. Collector1966

I saw something similar when I was up in Washington State near the Canadian border. Only then, they were accepting Canadian dollars for 86 US cents. I think now the Canadian dollar might even be worth more than the local American dollar :)

21. GypsyTears

GypsyTears Mammy 2 shoes

I have a half-thaler and a kreuzer that are graded.

Draft saved Draft deleted