What is my coin worth

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by National dealer, May 29, 2004.

1. National dealer

National dealer New Member

What is my coin worth?

Well, that's a tough question. Any coin's value will be based on several items: the year it was minted, the Mint facility where the coin was made and the coin's grade, condition or state of preservation. There are many other factors to take into consideration as well, but they are too numerous to mention here.
    Your best bet to determine a coin's value is to have the coin viewed by a dealer or seasoned collector.
    You must know a coin's grade to look up its value in a price guide. The grade is based on a scale of 1 to 70, with 60 and higher being reserved for coins in Mint State or Uncirculated condition. Proof coins are made differently from other coins and are graded differently as well. Any coin with wear on it, would not grade Uncirculated. To determine a coin's grade, you can either buy a book and learn about grading, visit a professional coin dealer in your area or submit the coin to a coin grading service.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nelliecasey

nelliecasey New Member

I have a 1999 denver mint nickel that is copper only, missed being laminated on both sides. How do I find out what it may be worth?

4. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

You will need to show us an image of what your coin is like. It can be possible that someone just copper plated it or alternatively dip it in acid to remove the plating. Welcome to cointalk by the way.

5. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I dont bother with the number system...just F VF XF UNC...:)

Rick B and Evan Saltis like this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy nellie - Welcome to the Forum !!

Nickels are not clad coins, so there can be no missing layers. From the sound of things you have coin that has toned and turned a copper color. This is quite normal and based on your description of the color it would add no value whatsoever.

DEA and Tlberg like this.
  7. elronzoco

elronzoco Junior Member

hello, fist time here, have a picture of coins, the best i think they can be. I want to know something, im confused. I have 5 copper cents (no magnet, 12khz sound when strikes), all of em have deep cameo (image like 3D), heres my inquiry:
    • 1,944 D, yellow/green with orange spots, IN GOD WE TRUST is touching edge/rim. The Liberty bites a bit the edge/rim. Cooper, wont stick to magnet. All details can be appreciated easly. high rim. Deep cameo.
    • 1,952 D, yellow, red and brown,The Liberty is touching the rim. high rim, All details can be appreciated easly. Cooper, wont stick to magnet. has spots on obverse where u can see copper. Deep Cameo.
    • 1,971 No mint mark, IN GOD WE TRUST is touching edge/rim. The Liberty is touching the edge/rim. Red / Brown, high rim, All details can be appreciated easily. Cooper, wont stick to magnet. has spots on obverse where u can see copper. It has a very MICROSCOPE inscription very close, think is touching the base of memorial, i think is FG. Must be VERY RARE type. It bearly recognized cause of near spot, but if u look careful it is a FG! well distributed AMERICA spaces. U can see edge stairs. AMAZING DEEP CAMEO.
    • 1,981, No mint mark, IN GOD WE TRUST is touching edge/rim. High rim, All details can be appreciated easly. Cooper, wont stick to magnet. Well distributed AMERICA spaces., with FG close to building base. U can see edge stairs. Deep cameo.
    • 1,982, No mint mark, IN GOD WE TRUST is touching edge/rim. High rim, All details can be appreciated easly. Cooper, wont stick to magnet. Well distributed AMERICA spaces., with FG close to building base. U can see edge stairs been melted over the other step. Nice coin.. Deep Cameo.
    • 1,993, No Mint Mark, Shinning red, purple, blue, yellow colors at light. The rim was high but it is at level of the coin, Also has the AM together and wide AM ERICA; FG mark is far from base memorial building. All details can be appreciated easly. U can see edge stairs. MAYBE A FINE RARE. Zinc.
    • 1,994, No mint, Shinning red colors at light. High rim, Also has the AM touching and wide AM ERICA; FG mark is far from base. All details can be appreciated easly. U can see edge stairs. Zinc
    • 1,997, No mint, Shinning red colors at light. High rim, Also has the AM touching and wide AM ERICA; FG mark is far from base.All details can be appreciated easly. U can see edge stairs. Zinc.
    I will aprecciate ur evaluation on characteristics i made of each, im looking for 1944D, 1952D, 1971, 1981 and 1982. Think might be interesting.

will appreciate ur orientation adn ic an send u the picture.

Txs

arturo lozano jr. likes this.
  8. elronzoco

elronzoco Junior Member

correction

sorry about my ignorance in this coins issues, was not cameo all, only the 1993, wich, maybe, its ZInc.. how i can recognize copper form zinc?
    Does the 1982 cent normally made of zinc with copper layer, think i have a full copper 1982 cent... 1981 copper. Made the ringing test, all coins to 1982 sounds different as the 1993 to 1997.
    txs

chazmasterman likes this.
  9. elronzoco

elronzoco Junior Member

Insted of CAMEO i was refering HIGH RELIEF DEVICES. also, investigate about "mint error - struck through reverse" in some coins.

10. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

I am not american and i have one american quarter, generally what year did the american quarter stop having silver in it. Mine is 1967, is it.

352sdeer likes this.
  11. Freddypm

Freddypm Member

Any quarters after 1964 (unless special proofs) are not silver

Tlberg likes this.
  12. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

Excuse my ignorance but I don't know much about American coins being that I don't live in the states. I have a coin with an eagle on one side and a woman on the other that is holding a kid, 2002 goldish color. It is turning a blueish and purplish color should i put it in a case or leave it out, what i mean is if i put it in a case will it conyinue to tone?

13. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Its a Sac. dollar---I really doubt that it would matter in the case or out--its going to tone--if you don't like the toning put it on ebay--toned coins sell really good.

Speedy

14. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

I love the toning, the coin is beginning to look really sharp:D

15. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

I have a penny in the early 1930s, is dipping it in some distilled water a good idea or should i just case it and leave it alone.?:)

16. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

17. Speedy

That is a Franklin Half Dollar---yes its normal---they were minted from 1948-1963.

Speedy

18. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

sorry i didn't explain myself clearly, my fault, its dated 1776-1976 and its one dollar. What should a caoin like that look like, sorry i don't klnow much about american coins. i'm canadian eh.:D

19. Speedy

Well it should have John Kennedy on the one side and on the other side it would have a building--I think its called Liberty Hall...

Speedy

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes it is completely normal - your coin is a Bicentennial Eisenhower dollar.

21. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

I recently found a coin dated early 1930's, its relatively rare here in Canada. It's a cent and looks not bad but has a black color on the low releif areas, should i dip it in some distilled water or just case it and leave it alone?:eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted