What does the different color seals mean?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by tld1020, Jun 12, 2006.

1. tld1020

tld1020 Junior Member

My better half likes paper money and he wanted me to ask what the different color of the seals mean. Can some of you help educate a couple of newbies? :eek: He has red, green, blue, and brown that I know of.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. crispy1995

crispy1995 Spending Toms like crazy**

Green are Federal Reserve Notes (currently in production), red are United States Notes (made till, 1968?), blue are silver certs, and I believe brown is Africa or Hawaii. What do these mean? Uh.. sorry, I don't know!!!

4. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

For current sized US notes, the seal colors mean as follows -

Green seal: Federal Reserve Note, legally a first lien on the assets of the issuing bank. Issued from 1929 to date.

Red Seal: United States Note, legally a promissory note. Issued from 1929 to 1971.

Blue Seal: Silver Certificate, legally a bearer's receipt for silver coins (or silver bullion) on deposit with the US treasurer. Issued from 1929 to 1963.

Yellow Seal: Gold Certificate, legally a bearer's receipt for gold coins on deposit with the US treasurer. Issued from 1929 to 1933.

OR - Emergency variety of Silver Certificates, issued to US forces in North Africa and Europe during World War II. Issued from 1942 to 1945.

Brown Seal: National Currency, legally a receipt for gold bonds (or other securities) deposited by the bank of issue with the US treasurer. Issued from 1929 to 1935.

OR - Federal Reserve Bank Notes, emergency issue during the Great Depression. Issued in 1933.

OR - Emergency varieties of Silver Certificates and Federal Reserve Notes, issued for circulation in Hawaii and to pay US forces in the Pacific Theater during World War II. Issued from 1942 to 1945.

5. tld1020

tld1020 Junior Member

Different color seals???

Thanks for the help, I'll let him know what I'll learned so far!:goofer:

6. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

From the Nitpicker-in-Chief :)
    Blue and Yellow seals do indeed indicate silver and gold certificates, respectively. When issued, they were legally a bearer's receipt. They are no longer. You can't go to the Federal Reserve and trade them in for silver or gold coin (wouldn't that be nice!). Silver and gold certificates in circulation are still legal tender, but they're now the legal equivalent of Federal Reserve Notes.

7. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

Not only that, but if you go to the US Treasury in Washington and demand gold coins for your gold certificates, they treat you like you're some sort of a nut.

At least that's what I hear. I wouldn't know for a fact. Really.

Draft saved Draft deleted