US Coin Online Sellers

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Tater, Jan 21, 2024.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Hey I am looking for some good online dealers that can be on ebay but have there own website. I've bought a bit from northeast nusmismatics and harlan j berk in the past but what are some other options that you have had experience with and that you recommend.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member

Many times you can click on and eBay listings description and find out the seller's store name. Offer times, it's in the user name. Plug that into Google and if they have a website, usually it'll pop up. I've done this several times and you can often get a discount on the price from the eBay listing.

I don't really collect US anymore so I can't help much with that, but have bought a few US coins from acoushacollectibles.com and talosnumismatics.com. I bought from the second one on eBay first and got the website info from a business card that came with the item. Both were easy to work with and shipped quickly.

Tater likes this.
  4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Whomever the dealer is online make sure they have a 100% rating and nothing less! I make no recommendation, that way I remain without fault or blame. Good luck.

5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Doesn't CoinTalk have a list of forum members who also have online websites selling coins?

-jeffB likes this.
  6. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I understand not wanting to take blame, not that I would blame someone here. I would add they have to have a good return policy.

Mr.Q likes this.
  7. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

8. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

You wouldn't need to blame, a neophite/novice who hasn't learned on their own, asks, and doesn't understand, generates Liability to, for others who assist.

You probably should study/learn contract law before assuming/desiring your secondary caveat.

JMHO

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I hate when people say this. In the last 12 months I have 1001 positive feedbacks and 1 negative. The negative was because someone's coin was lost in the mail. I gave them a refund and they left a negative anyway. But my seller rating is 99.8 so you and many people on here would never buy from me. That's just not fair. There are people out there who give negatives for stupid little things. And I don't sell U.S. coins so I'm not trying to promote my business. Just saying it's not so black and white.

Dug13, geekpryde, SilverMike and 14 others like this.
  10. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

For gold, I usually go with Apmex. They have both an Ebay presence and a separate online store.

Tater likes this.
  11. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I just saw my first consignment with Boardwalk Numismatics end who is seller jdmern on eBay. Some people got some great deals out of the approx 800 coins I consigned. All in all though, I did OK.
    I am consigning my second batch for sale in Feb through March. The photos are exact but there is little description.
    I will have lots of US, some UK and a lot of exonumia and they will all start at $1.99 !!!
    I trust this seller, and you can too.
    I'll post in the BST when batch two goes live in February but I think there are thousands of items listed now.

Joshua Lemons, MIGuy and Tater like this.
  12. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I second Boardwalk Numismatics, I also recommend the dealers on VCoins - especially Sam Sloat - they aren't far from me and I've had good dealings with them. ToughCoins is great, MA-Shops, Rafalovich Coins (Hawaii), Paul J. Bosco Coins (NYC), and for auctions of course Heritage, Great Collections and I also bid at Charter Oak Coins once a month auctions frequently (I bid online, though Fred isn't far from me). One eBay dealer to avoid (sold me a counterfeit Elephant Token for my Colonial collection and refused to refund / ghosted me) is irishcoinsandstuff2012.

imrich likes this.
  13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I think Sam Sloat still has a B&M shop in Connecticut?

MIGuy likes this.
  14. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Yes, by appointment only. I've gotten a couple of nice SLQs from them.

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member

I buy extensively from Justin as he has quality coins, especially when it comes to my collecting area, the German States. He also has his own website as well off eBay.

TheNickelGuy likes this.
  16. ddddd

ddddd Member

I agree; there are plenty of sellers under 100% feedback who are perfectly fine (but ran into unreasonable buyers) and some at 100% that are big enough to get legitimate negatives removed.

I'll read the feedback and often I can get a feel from the negative reviews who was more likely at fault. When I see multiple people mention that the seller canceled an item because it ended too low, that is a red flag. But if I saw an item was lost or some petty complaint, that is not much to worry about.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  17. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

Gerry Fortin is great (Gerry Fortin Rare Coins / GFRC). He specializes in Seated coins but deals in lots of other coin types too. His daily blog gives good perspective on the life of a coin dealer and he is absolutely transparent and honest. In recent years he has shifted towards nicer coins that tend to be above my price point, but I enjoy looking at his inventory.

Tater and Dug13 like this.
  18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Just like yours, it's my opinion only. No harm no foul. By the way, I'm a retired Director of Law Enforcement, Boise State University Associate Professor of Criminal Justice and Social Science, certified and licensed educator. I value all opinions, but like butts everybody has one, yours included! Thank you.

MIGuy and imrich like this.
  19. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I believe/trust we're in agreement! Thank You for your post.

I'm only a top SAT test scorer, having only 3 employers, hired specifically to produce equipment and obtain world-wide "market share".

My final world-wide manufacturing employer of ~90,000, endured me for 33 years, supporting my developments, sponsored earning of singular annual corporate technical-excellence award, patents/records-of-invention.

I believe as an agnostic, our accomplishments aren't necessarily of our making, but received through "divine intervention"!

My 83 years of existence is, believed by me, as being perfect!

JMHO

JMHO

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
    MIGuy and Mr.Q like this.
  20. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

David Lawrence is great, as is Northeast numismatists.

I have not heard of Boardwalk Numismatics before, I will have to check them out.

21. erscolo

erscolo Well-Known Member

I have purchased quite a few coins on eBay over the last five years and find that pretty much anyone over a 99.5 feedback is a decent and honest seller. In all of my purchases, more than 900 of them, I have only left one seller a negative rating, and that was for a less than $10 purchase in 2019. I have checked reviews and find negative reviews that are wholly positive, the idiot did not check the right box. It does not hurt to check the negative feedback, for oftentimes it is nothing more than the ramblings of the village outcast.

I have purchased from the Executive Coin Company, David Lawrence, Saratoga Coin Galleries, Northeast Numismatics and Coast to Coast to name some of my repeat purchases. All are highly reputable in my opinion.

geekpryde, ddddd and Hiddendragon like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted